Chapter 4

THE TRAIN STOPS and I'm forced to leave even though I was starting to enjoy my ride. WSU here I come. I tug lightly at the necklace my best friend gave me.

The campus seems way to big for someone like me. I quickly search the area for the dorms. D48. I walk the halls seeing everyone talking to their friends, no one is alone like me. I have to get through this, I've never had trouble being alone and I'm not going to start now; I can't.

I find myself praying that my roommate will be decent. I close my eyes before finally opening the door. I take a deep breath, this is it. The butterflies in my stomach bounce around so much that I want to throw some of them up.

"Hi!" a cheery voice squeaks at me.

"Hi. I hope I didn't come too late?" I ask and smile my warmest smile.

"No, I don't mind at all. I know this is weird but can I just hug you?" the girl asks, leaning in before I can answer.

"I just prayed you wouldn't be some psycho, I mean I'm sure we'll have some fights about which colored carpet looks best, but just thanks for not being a total clown." She says and I laugh.

"No problem." I smile.

"So The right side is mine, well I already made it mine so . . . you know."

"I don't mind." The left side seems perfect. I feel more hidden that way which seems ideal for someone like me.

"I hope we can become friends." She says.

"Me too." I smile.

"what's your name?" I decide to be the one asking a question this time.

"Christina Alvarez, but you can call me Crissy, no one calls me Christina I sort of hate that name anyway, you?"

"Madison Pierce," I say and she smiles.

"By the way . . . I like your outfit, it looks cool, sort of like vintage?" She asks. I don't understand what that's supposed to mean but I get the feeling she's just trying to be nice since her sense of style couldn't look more different.

"Yeah, thanks," I say.

"My boyfriend is coming to pick me up soon so just take your time getting settled in, I'll be back late."

"Okay, sure, thanks."

I grab my pajama shirt and slowly lift up my shirt, the underwiring of my white bra showing only a little.

"knock knock, ready to go babe—" A raspy male voice stops.

My eyes widen and I quickly pull my shirt down, but it's too late, his hazel brown eyes caught me. His perfectly cut dark brown hair, His perfect white smile, and his black thick eyebrows all caught me. His eyes travel up and down my body, not making eye contact. His teeth bite at his lower lip and a grin suddenly covers his face.

"Stop staring you perv!" Crissy says, putting her hand over his eyes and walking out of the door, practically dragging him out with her. She peaks her head into the room and mouths the words; "I'm sorry." Before closing the door behind them. I can hear their muffled voices behind the door getting quieter and quieter.

I let out a deep breath before deeply breathing in a new one. Who was that? And why was he . . . why was he acting like that, so . . . so interested? I have too many questions, I subtly shake my head in disbelief. 

I guess all guys act like pigs weather they're in a relationship or not. Jace was never like this, whenever he was introduced to a girl, he never looked her up and down, and especially not like . . . that. I lock the door to avoid another ‚incident' and hurry to change, finally some privacy. 

There are a lot of things I need to get done, way too many. I know I won't be able to do them tonight since it's too late . . . what did she mean she'd be home late? It's already late. I don't know maybe I'm just not used to all of this, in fact I know I'm not.

 I take everything out of my bag but quickly realize I can't wear any of these clothes here, the way people dress here, I'll be made fun of or at least end up with no friends. I know I need a new start and that means new clothes. I was saving up for this moment, I better use it right? 

I decide to keep my clothes unpacked in my backpack. I slide it under the bed and quickly put the rest of my stuff away, which isn't a lot of work. 

My toothbrush and shampoo are in my toiletry bag and the rest well . . . that's it. I don't even have a mattress cover, and the school specifically mentioned the use of a mattress cover. I guess I'm going shopping tomorrow.

I LAY DOWN and look at the polished ceiling. Staring at ceilings seems to be my favorite thing to do these days. But It helps me think, it always had. it's always so plain, so untouched, not cared about . . . yet it's the perfect surface, protecting everything under it. 

I tug at the covers and pull them over my face, I'm slightly embarrassed by the way I'm dressed, all my stuff and all that surrounds me seems to be a mess compared to this place. 

I'm thankful that school doesn't start for a couple more days, I need the time to get my new life started. I try my best to scribble a list in my head of things I need to buy as I drowse off to sleep on the soft mattress.

I sleep for what seems like twenty minutes and am suddenly awakened by a loud noise, laughing? I can hear muffled voices trying to open the door. Great, I have a roommate who doesn't sleep. I quickly sit up, covering my body with the sheets.

"Stop it, Miles!" I hear Crissy's voice shouting. As soon as the door slams open I forget about my sleep, our eyes meet for the first time. It's almost as if his dark hazel eyes are smirking at me. His tight black jeans and black t-shirt fit his features perfectly.

"Oh . . . Madison . . . Did we wake y—" She's cut off by his deep and raspy voice.

"Madison huh? We're sorry, but uh . . . this naughty girl just forgot her phone." He says looking at Chrissy while he bites his lower lip.

"Miles!" Crissy swats his arm. A smirk appears on his face and his jaw clenches.

"I'll be staying over at his for the night, so no more interruptions, I promise." She explains quietly and I nod. I don't mind the interruptions as much as I mind a guy being in our room while I'm in my pajamas and trying to get some sleep. 

Chrissy gives him a flirty look before the two finally exit the room. The door shuts and I throw my head back onto the pillow.

Hi guys! after this chapter there will be some strong language, suggestive scenes and mature themes throughout the book which is not suited for all audiences, thank you and enjoy the journey!