𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄 | Holding Too Tight

THE DESPICABLE UNFORESEEABLE LIE

Prologue | "holding too tight"

   THE AIR WAS humid. Martha grumbled under her breath as her leotard clung to her moistened skin like and extension of her flesh. Molten and wet, is how she would describe Seattle tonight. Luckily, she was only here for a couple of nights. One performance and she would be touring in another state in two days.

   Then, she would be anxiety free.

   Coming to Washington always made her skin prickle and itch with nerves. Of course, she knew exactly why that was. Martha had the goofy yearbook photos to prove it. Her eyes were practically colored in with a passionate red in the shape of a heart as she gazed to the one guy she could never have.

   Saturday night hangouts with her senior classmates, stuck being a third or fifth wheel, sucked. She supposed she had it pretty bad for Samuel Uley since she was ten and first moved with her grandfather to La Push.

   They were outsiders to the sacred reservation, being Colombian and all, but the natives were compassionate with the Dévolla's and welcomed them in with open arms. She was apart of a wholesome community. Well, until she skipped out to pursue her dreams.

   Even though her grandfather was staying in a retirement home now, she wrote to him and sent postcards every chance she could get. He was the closest thing to a family she ever had, not that she was complaining. Martha learned that beggers can't be choosers and she was incredibly fortunate to have what she did now.

   As for the unattainable Sam Uley, well, he was attached at the hip with Leah Clearwater since she could remember. He was always hers and boy were they a sight to behold. Both were beautiful, unmistakingly. They were even nominated by the senior class to be 'Most Likely to Marry Their High school Sweetheart.'

   Martha had to make matters worse for her little heart by voting for them, herself. She couldn't help it, they were end all be all. No matter how downcast she was about it. They didn't call it a crush without reason.

   Coming by Washington brought up those old memories as if they were newly sprinkled into her mind. And though she had somewhat gotten over the petty emotions, it would forever remain as a subconscious reaction.

   "We're on in five, Mars. You ready?" Tanya, her producer poked her head in the dressing room. Her wild blonde hair was strenuously tamed tonight, showcasing her dark under eyes and fatigued frown lines from lack of sleep.

   There was no rest for the entertainer. There was always someone left to satisfy and Lord knows their self care would never come first on that list.

   Martha had spent the last four months doing this off-off Broadway show for Tanya and Craig. A ballet theatrical story about love and loss in the face of poverty. Penny For Your Thoughts. It was named and they seated about five hundred, give or take, a show.

   Martha personally thought the piece was breathtaking. The sorrow her character, Vivian, held for the loss of her two month old son, left her weeping during the table read. She needed to be this role for personal growth and inspiration as a dancer. It looked well on her repertoire.

   After weeks and weeks of rehearsing, they did their first showing. Martha was breathing harshly when the music stopped and the stage lights flickered back on. She would never forget the rush. The pure unadultered adrenaline she got from that single debut. She would never forget the applause and cheers...

   The roses her grandfather sent through a delivery man. The card sticking out of the bouquet, that was signed by Samuel Uley, himself, wishing her good luck in her future endeavors.

   It was magical, every minute of it.

   Martha glanced up from her bar, bending her feet to and fro in order to warm up. They pointed with precision, flexing back till her hamstrings screamed for release. "Yes, yes. All set."

   Tanya grinned, relieved. No matter how many shows they put on, the woman never failed to border a panic attack before curtain call. "Have I told you how much I love you for being punctual?"

   Martha chuckled, a raspy, contagious little sound. "Just about every time before curtain call."

   "Then I'm doing my job right. Alright, see you out there. Break a leg!" With a wink of her hazel eyes, Tanya was gone, pressing her wireless ear piece for updates. The brunette shook her head, bringing her arm out in a affluent movement to stretch out her limbs before she striaghtened up.

   The mirror in front showed a reflection of Vivian. Curly, tight ringlets, reaching down to the middle of her back. Extensions, she didn't mind until they grew too heavy. A purposely dirted leotard with scraps and shreds of fabric hanging from the waist.

   Even her face was smudged with dirt and dust, faint scars marking under her chin and over her brow. The only piece that resembled her purity and willful spirit was the slightly wrinkled daisies in her tresses.

   Martha was ready.

   With a sigh, she rolled her neck and walked to her vanity. The same card she had gotten months ago from Sam, was still with her. She brought it to every showing. A good luck of sorts.

   As a nightly tradition, she opened it and quickly read the contents with a sappy smile on her cheeks.

   "We're rooting for you", it said, "don't forget us Mars. I know I won't." - and that was why she simply couldn't, with the life in her, move on from that once geeky teen in La Push. Because he spoke as a group in his letter, at first, then changed the end to 'I'. 'I'. 'I'.

   There could of been a very real chance she was reading too much into this, but that's how she was. An emotionally invested, overthinker. Truth be told, Martha had embraced that side of herself by now. There was no changing the drama queen.

   With one last glance at the card, she walked out of her dressing room. The lights flicked off with her retreating figure still reflecting in the mirror.

Unedited. 7/12/20

Just roll with it because the ideas just kept flowing lol