Chapter 15

I was sitting on the couch, my knees to my chest, trying to keep control over myself and my emotions. Getting the first half out, that was the easy part, I always knew it would be, but I know what Karina expects next, though I don't think I can go there.

"Okay, so we've talked about your childhood, the first institute, now, we can get to-"

"No." I cut her off, shaking my head. "Not now, not today." I wiped the tears from my face, hoping I can leave now.

I've told her everything I could about the first part of my life, the easy part. Vinco was different. Vinco, though my time there was drastically shorter, was more information. There was more to talk about, mostly emotional. I couldn't go there yet, not today.

"Okay, then, for now, we are done here," Karina told me, standing up, straightening out her clothes.

I did the same, quick to make it to the door.

"Same time tomorrow?" She asked just as I opened the door.

I paused, "I-I don't know." I say honestly.

"Take all the time you need. Sooner or later, you need to face this, you need to be the one controlling your past instead of letting it control you."

With her last words, I left.

I wasn't going anywhere, in particular, I was just walking. I passed by a few people along the way who greeted me kindly, though I didn't return the favor. I didn't mean to be cold, but after that session, I was shaky and in my head. I needed comfort, I needed to punch something, I needed. . .

Sterling.

"Millicent!" I heard shouting from down the corridor, his voice.

I halted, waited for him to find me, which of course, he did.

"Millicent," Sterling ran towards me, taking me into his arms immediately, holding me close. I relaxed into his touch, I needed this. "Karina told me your talk went well and that you left a while ago. Why didn't you wait for me?"

I didn't answer, I just held him. He pulled me away from him, looking down into my teary eyes before pulling me back to him once more.

"Are you alright?" He asked.

I wanted to demand he take us back home so that I can pack my things and go our separate ways, but that's not really what I wanted. I found that even though talking with Karina was a lot, it was also very helpful. It may not seem like it now, but I know it was.

"Yes," I whispered, pulling him closer.

"I'm happy you talked with someone." He kissed the top of my head, rubbing his hand up and down my back. I stepped out of his arms, thankful for his patience with me.

"I am too," I tell him.

I can feel his interest in the conversation that went down, though I'm not ready to discuss it. My life is messy, my past especially. Sterling understood, grabbing my hand, both of us starting to walk through the halls.

Sterling's kindness towards me is so much, flooding my body and my mind, overwhelming me in a positive way. He dropped everything to help me, on our way here, our lives were at risk and he still was determined to get us to our destination. My heart beats faster as a new emotion made its way into me, an unfamiliar emotion. I looked up, his face relaxed and content, he too seemed to be in thought but I didn't know what about. He reads me better than anyone, I can't even return the gesture.

"You're doubting yourself."

There it is.

"I know I am," I tell him honestly.