You Have Got To Be Kidding

"What the hell was that?" I slam the door, as we both sit down inside. He shakes his head. "You don't think I could see how he was feeling you up? How everyone could see that?" Rafe shouted at me.
"Who cares? Rafe everyone was making out! It was a party for fucks sake!" I push his arm, annoyed by his audacity. As I am about to pull away his hand grips my wrist and his fingers press into my palm. "Shit that hurts Rafe," I pull my hand out, his eyes gone white. "Sorry I don't- look I'm sorry. I don't know what got into my me, okay? Here I am minding my business and I see this guy with his hand up your shirt and it freaked me out," he stutters out. I rub his back until he looks at me. "There were much better ways to handle you getting freaked out," I laugh, he almost cracks a smile but it quickly fades.

My hand finds the door and I jump out. My feet hitting the sand beneath me as I search for Sarah, she is off in a huddle of people as I explain to her it's time to go. "Oh but it's only midnight come on," Sarah exclaims, her lips stained with the smell of alcohol. "You're drunk, let's get you going," I grab her arm and lead her away, the alcohol weighing her down and sticking her feet to the floor. She comes along slowly but steadily and I see my brother off in the distance before checking my phone. "Met some chick, be back later. Got a ride." I roll my eyes and slip my phone back into my pocket.

The ride home is silent, as Sarah's passed out body rests on my lap in the back seat. I try to check my phone but it's lodged underneath Sarah's leg and I don't wanna wake her. I look up to find Rafes eyes jolting away from mine in the mirror
"What?" I whisper at him through my teeth, eyebrows raised. He shakes his head and refocuses on the road. I can't help but find the way his jaw flexes and the space between his eyebrows crinkles as he focuses. Something about him is so beautiful, what a shame it's been wasted. He could really be something special.

***
"Are we home?" Sarah groans, eyes squeezing shut. I smile and help her out of the car. We drag ourselves inside, Rafe following steps behind us.

I drop off Sarah in my room, her dead weight is dragging my tired body down and my bedroom is closest. I tuck her into my covers and leave a trash can next to her if she decides to get sick and throw up, I would rather it no be on my sheets.

Through the corner of my eye I see Rafe walk into his room. My body falls onto the futon in my room, clouded by exhaustion as my eyes fall shut with the rest of the world. As I sleep my mind can't help but wander. Rafe Cameron is the most confusing person I think I know. One moment he seems friendly, and the next he acts like he couldn't stand my presence for a moment longer. It stings my pride to admit, but it hurts my feelings almost. This person I have known my entire life, can be so harsh to me. The least he could do is pretend he actually likes me, accept me as apart of his families life. He makes me angry myself, but at least I give him the courtesy of putting up with him. I wonder and wonder why he is the way he is. When we were just little kids he was so sweet, then one day he just stopped. Stopped playing with me and Sarah, and would rather shuffle off to his bedroom. It would impossible to forget the first time he got truly angry with me and yelled. Me and Sarah had been playing over at my house, and my dad had died just a year prior and Dean wasn't home. We needed someone to play the dad in house. I shuffled up the stairs into Deans room because I knew I would Rafe up there. He was, of course. When my hand gripped the brass knob and opened the door though I heard a sniffle, figured it was allergies. When I opened the door though Rafe yelled at me. Asking what I could possibly be bothering him about. I started to cry and when he turned around I realized he had been too. I didn't ask why, just stood there and hollered "You are so mean! I hate you! I hate you! I hate you! I just wanted to play!" and I ran down the stairs to find Sarah asking me what was wrong.

Later me and Rafe never talked about it but he was so much more distant than before. It wasn't until I turned 13 though that he started disliking me to me face at least. And now here we are. Fake dating as if this is one of the romance novels I read. Pretending to be with eachother when in private we can't stand eachother. Just when I think we are becoming friends.