Epilogue 1 - Mumbai Diaries

EIGHT MONTHS LATER :

Mishti stirred slightly when she heard the alarm going off somewhere near her. She extended one hand and sleepily snoozed the phone by her night stand, and then rolled on her back and turned her face. The heavy arm draped around her waist shifted a little, before she was pulled closer into a comfortable position with her head tucked into Abir's chest while he snuggled her into him. Mishti knew she was smiling against his chest, even if she was sleep dazed.

Another fifteen minutes and the alarm went off again. This time Abir groaned and shifted enough to turn the alarm on his phone off. Stretching slightly, he turned his face to find the love of his life sleeping against him like a baby. He ran a hand through her hair, putting away the brazen strands from her face and kissed the crown of her head, cuddling with her.

Mishti grinned, and then opened her eyes before poking his cheek,  “It's your turn for breakfast”.

Abir rolled his eyes playfully and cuddled more, “I know, but I think there are better ways to welcome the new morning, no?”

“There are. For example delicious breakfast", Mishti teased, "I was promised that I will never have to cook - only talking or listening in kitchen would do. I am already doing a favor by making you breakfast three days a week", she boasted, still tucked into his chest.

"Spreading jam on toasted bread pieces isn't called cooking Angry Chorni", Abir laughed before finally detangling himself from her and getting out of the bed, his back to her. His eyes went to the wall clock - by habit. It was seven in the morning.

Mishti's eyes, on the other hand, roamed all over Abir as he stretched and his rumpled vest gave her more access to bare skin.

“Staring is rude”, Abir commented, trying to hide the smile in his voice before he turned around to face her.

Mishti grinned mischievously before sitting up on her knees and moving to the edge of the bed, “I am allowed to stare at what's mine though”.

Red crept up his ears while Mishti doubled over in laughter, holding her stomach.

“Like we have established before, you are the woman in our relationship Ajeeb Rajvansh”, she wheezed out, “Udti hui julfein, lahrata hua dupatta, aur haaye ye sharam”.

Abir picked up the throw pillow from the bed and chucked it at her, but it did nothing to stop her incessant laughter. When he finally walked into the washroom, he could still hear her chuckles from outside. He closed his eyes  and let out a silent prayer - to help him safeguard that laughter, because that was the sound he was determined to wake up to everyday for the rest of his life.

-------

Mishti folded the duvet and made the bed, yawning to herself. If someday asked her what was the one thing that hadn't changed from her childhood days till now, the answer would be her morning habits. She wasn't a morning person at all. Even now, then only motivation to get up was the fact she had an office to report to. That, and the delicious breakfast Abir served.

Sometimes she still waited for the other shoe to drop - it was a constant fear, especially in the beginning of their rekindled relationship, although now she had a better grip over her reality. Mumbai - the city of dreams, had been good to her. To him. To both of them.

A small smile brightened her eyes when her eyes fell on Abir's nightstand. He had a framed picture of her beside the night lamp, the picture turned towards the bed such that when he slept on his side, it would always be in line of his sight. She didn't remember the exact moment he had clicked that picture even if she remembered that day pretty well - it was their first date after all, in this new city.