CHAPTER 48

14 July 2018

Inglewood, California

Aurelie's POV

Anne insisted that taking one of our cars was faster than waiting for an ambulance, and I agreed. In a frenzy, she snatches my hospital bag from an employee and throws it roughly over her shoulder, puffing out deep breaths as if she's the one in childbirth. Glenne steers me toward the exit and warns me that there may be photographers outside, wanting to be the first to sell the story that I've gone into labour.

For my protection, she drapes a knit blanket over me, even covering my head whilst apologising for going to such extremities. "Don't worry about it, I appreciate you protecting us like this." I place my hand on hers over my shoulder, tapping it affectionately. She smiles gently, the corners of her eyes creasing finely showing her inner contentment before the blanket covers my eyes.

"You know, you're strangely calm considering the circumstances." Glenne tells me, rolling me out onto the parking lot I assume by the noises of cars becoming much more audible. I chuckle to myself. "I think that for starters, I still don't fully believe that I'm pregnant. After years of being told how extremely low my chances were it's kind of engraved into my brain. Also, I know that everyone here is genuine and only want the best for me and this little girl. Harry too."

She sighs as if to say we know in a polite manner. "I'm going to drive, I'll help you into the back and you can sit with Anne, is that okay?" Glenne questions, ensuring that I'm comfortable and somewhat aware of my surroundings even with my eyesight blocked. I nod harshly so that she can see my response.

Feeling my weight being lifted from the wheelchair, I use my arms to feel around, desperately searching for somewhere to sit again. "Just up here." Anne's kind voice directs me, her smooth skinned hands guiding mine to the seat in front of me. I carefully hoist up my left leg to clamber into the car.

Anne buckles me up and waits for Glenne to confirm that the windows are black out tinted before taking the cover off of my head. "You doing okay, love?"

I blink a few times to familiarise myself with the wonders of being able to see. Anne looks utterly concerned, biting her nails through her fushcia stained cheeks.

"Hurts like hell when those contractions hit." I say honestly, sulking as I feel another sharp pain. An assumed contraction. Like the superwoman she is, Anne checks the time on her watch.

"It's been seventeen minutes since your last set of contractions, between fifteen and twenty is normal at this stage. About a minute of pain now. Push through." she tenses up as I death grip her hand, turning the knuckles white. "Well done, keep going."

"Sorry for crushing your hand." I apologise even through the agonising pain, making her laugh faintly to herself. "I'd let you crush my hand any day of the week, Aurelie." she tells me, showcasing that same charm that her son uses on me daily.

"Do you think Harry will make it on time?" I worry, trying to distract myself from the passing contraction and the fact that there's still thirty more seconds left until the pain subsides again temporarily. She bites down on her bottom lip, as if she's forcefully stopping words from coming out. Either that or she's just thinking hard.

"I'm sure he will. Even if he's not there, I'll be there." she reassures me kindheartedly, and I have to suppress the urge to scowl. Not because I'm not thankful she's here, but because all I want to do is scream at Harry and pull his hair out for impregnating me and causing me so much pain.

Glenne snakes her hand between the two front seats, opening her palm to show an in-ear. "Even if he doesn't make it, you have one of these. Jeff did ask that you didn't speak into it throughout songs if possible."