falling

age: 15

Y/N:
My whole life I've thought I was straight. I never had questioned my sexuality - until I did. And then I started to realise some things such as, my obsession with Ms. Honey from the movie Matilda...

The first time I questioned it was when I realised that I might feel something for my best friend Lily. We've been best friends since we were three years old and we spend at last half our time at each other's houses.

Lily as far as I'm aware though is straight. Neither of us have ever said anything about our sexuality so I don't know for certain, but I've never really seen her look at other girls. Who knows though, I mean I'm scared of people knowing before I really know what my sexuality is, therefore I've mastered the art of hiding it. (I think I have anyway.) So, maybe Lily is the same?

Every time I'm around her I get this giddy feeling in my stomach. Don't get me wrong, I've always loved spending time with her but it feels different now. I always want to be with her.

Putting all that aside, I know that if Lily and I were ever more than friends I would be so scared that something would happen and however many years it would've been that we knew each other there would be no Lily and Y/N anymore. I don't think I'd ever cope with that. Even the thought of never spending time with Lily again makes me want to cry.

I'm very fortunate to have been raised in a home where my mom has always been supportive of the LBGTQIA+ community. Not that she's a part of it herself, but I know that she's okay with it. So I don't think she'd have a problem with me being a part of it.

My mom is also my favourite person and I tell her everything. Well, nearly everything. I haven't spoken about this yet but I know that I want to. Maybe it will help me understand myself better.

I just don't know how to bring this up. I mean I've never kissed anybody before let alone had feelings for someone.

•••

When I got home from school today, I threw my bag on the floor next to the door and walked straight to the kitchen to get something to eat. I have an obsession with apples and peanut butter at the moment so that's what I decided I wanted.

As I was cutting up my apple, mom walked down the stairs and into the kitchen. "Oh, hi bubba. I didn't hear you come in," She says. "Hi," I smile softly. "How was school?" She questions as she makes her way behind the counter to give me a hug. "It was okay," I shrug.

Truthfully, today wasn't great. Lily wasn't there because she's got a flu and I don't really talk to anyone else besides her so I felt a little bit alone. Sure I have other friends, but I'm not as close to anyone as I am with Lily.

"Just okay?" She asks, kissing my forehead. "Yeah, Lily wasn't there so—" I shrug. "Oh how come?" She questions genuinely. "She's sick," I tell her. "Aw okay, tell her I hope that she feels better soon."
"I will," I smile softly.

Something I love about being so close to Lily my whole life is the fact that she's close with my mom and I'm close with her mom. Our moms are also really good friends too.

"Mom, can I talk to you about something?"

Oh shit.
The words came out of my mouth before I could even acknowledge what I was thinking. Why did I just say that? I mean my thought process wasn't even there.

"Yeah sure," She smiles, sitting down on one of the kitchen stools.

"It's okay actually, it's not important," I decide, putting a piece of apple in my mouth. "What? No. Don't leave me hanging like that, you know how much I hate when you do that," She chuckles, stealing a piece of apple from my plate.