21

"Boo."

That was all the introduction Jesse needed before she yanked Demetri out the other door and away from the livid Hawk. They ran faster and faster, Jesse trying to make it out the front door. As soon as they entered the main building she faltered looking around at all the fighting incredulously.

"What the fuck is going on?!"

"Now is not the time!" Demetri replied looking over at Jesse and taking the lead. They didn't get far before Jesse was grabbed by the wrist and pulled backward, a yelp leaving her mouth as she pulled Demetri back with her.

Hawk had yanked Jesse backward and shoved her onto her knees, sneering down at her before looking at his old friend and pointing.

"You know who that is, right?!" Hawk snapped out angrily. Jesse looked up with wide eyes at the two, frozen in fear as she watched her secret get exposed.

Demetri swallowed his spit looking down at Jesse and then back to his old best friend. "That's Jesse."

"Yes, but no." Hawk sneered taking a step forward and grabbing Jesse's wrist to showcase her. "Don't you remember middle school? Fuck, elementary school?! Everyone picking on us, vandalizing our shit, abusing us until we cried or-or ran away?!"

Jesse closed her eyes shut and wished she could sink into the ground, the memories of her previous sins starting to overwhelm her to tears. The regrets and the mistakes were painted over her and she feared Demetri's response. It was quiet and she was sure that Demetri thought her as scum.

"Don't you know who-"

"Yes, I know that's Jessica Park!" Demetri shouted, interrupting the hatefilled words. Jesse's eyes snapped open to Demetri in disbelief and Hawk's grip on her weakened in confusion. The tall nerd clenched his fists out of nerves and licked his lips. "I've known who she was for a while now, okay?"

"..." Hawk was at a loss for words before anger took it all over. Demetri had known who she was this entire time and still friended her. "You..."

Jesse cried out as the hand around her wrist squeezed hard and Demetri quickly pushed Hawk away. "Hey, let her go!"

"You gonna stick up for the bitch? Fine." Hawk snarled letting the girl go with a throw and stepping over her to follow after Demetri who started running away to get distance between Hawk and Jesse. Jesse watched from the ground with wide eyes.

"You gonna stick up for the nerd? Fine." Jessica's smile did not reach her eyes as she stared over at Demetri. It was the second week of first grade and Jessica Park had already started her bullying. "Then you're a nerd too."

"Fine." The small Demetri said shakily, trying to embody any amount of confidence that Jessica has. "I-if that's w-what you call someone b-better than you, than I am a nerd."

"That's not a good thing, dummy." Jesse snapped back, clenching her tiny fists and narrowing her eyes. "It means you're lame."

"I-I think you're lame." Demetri swallowed thickly, standing in front of the sniffling victim he chose to protect. "You call me nerd but then dummy? That doesn't make sense."

"You know what will make sense? When I stuff your face in the wood chips and make you eat them!" Jesse called out, already starting to head towards the two boys angrily. Demetri's eyes widened and he wasted no time in helping up the poor boy, pulling him to run away while Jesse screamed for her brother. "Kyler!"

There was something silencing about one of your victims winning a fight against their best friend then coming over and offering you a hand to help you up. Jesse hesitated, looking at the outstretched hand as if it would bite her.