Chapter 30

"You've got to be kidding me Khushi? You actually thought I would be very happy for you to get married to a divorced single father? I worked so hard to make sure you never lacked anything. I may have not provided you with a luxurious lifestyle but I did manage to provide you with three meals a day and a good education. Is this how you are paying back?"

Khushi could not believe what she was hearing. Her own father is going against her wishes. She called her father to inform him about her marriage to Arnav thinking he will be happy for her. But instead, he is blaming her.

"Papa, I never doubted your upbringing. In fact, I will forever be grateful for what you have done. I never wanted to hurt you, papa. But please at least meet him once. Then you'll understand why I chose him. Please papa"

"Everyone told me not to let you stay on your own. Even your aunt was telling me every day to ask you to come back. But I ignored all of them because I trusted you. How can tell them that my daughter broke my trust by living with a man?"

"Papa, what are you talking about? Living with a man? I was doing a job to pay off my loans, other bills, and expenses. You out of everyone should know this"

"Oh, so now you are making me the bad person. Just because I do not live in a penthouse or did not earn thousands every month, you are telling me off by saying you took care of everything from your money? Shame on you Khushi, how you trying to change the fact that you were living with a man"

"Papa, I am your daughter. You know me more than anyone and yet you are accusing me of something I am not?"

"What else Khushi, you were staying in a house with a man who is divorced and who has a daughter. All these months only two of you were at home. Now you want to marry this guy. Tell me the truth, has he done something? Because according to me, a man who let you stay with him for this long cannot be someone I can trust"

"Please papa, I can't let you point at his character. If you want to know if he did something then hear me out papa, yes he did something to me. He stole my heart papa. I was living under the same roof for months and not once he looked at me inappropriately, never misbehaved with me. In fact, he was always protecting me. He was ready to give up on me for the sake of me papa"

"Khushi, you are naive, and he is taking advantage of that. I want you to leave that house now and come back. End of the story"

"But papa, I love him. It is easier for you to say that papa. But it's not possible for me to leave him"

"Khushi, I am your father and I can decide for you. So come home right now"

"With all due respect papa, no you cannot decide for me. I am still your daughter and that will never change but I am an adult. I can choose for me and I choose Arnav Ji"

"You are not going to get married to him. You understand me?"

"Ok papa, as you wish. But you hear me out now. If I cannot get married to him, I will never get married. But that does not mean I will leave him. I do not need some legal signature to be with him. I will stay with him until my last breath. Now you decide what you will say to your so-called society?"

"Khushi, you won't dare"

"Try me, papa. I respect you a lot. You have always been my inspiration. Your love for mama has always been my predominantor for love. I thought you understood love papa. I never thought you had such narrow thinking"

Khushi felt disappointed at her father's thinking. 

"Papa, What if the roles were changed? What if I was a divorced single mother and Arnav Ji asked you for my hand? Would you tell him he cannot get married to a divorced single mother? Would you let your daughter's future be ruined like that?"