2

She pushed open her dorm room door to reveal the room that she had enchanted to be bigger than it was. A large double bed stood on an elevated platform while elegant vines twisted around the room while an entire wall was just books. Large arched windows stood alongside the glass door of her balcony, offering her an escape if she wished. She sat down heavily on her bed and felt Arnold drop down beside her.

"I'm in trouble, Arnold," Evelyn muttered, staring at the ceiling.

"How so?" Arnold watched her carefully.

"Have you seen her? I got emotional and almost killed a guy. She...doesn't seem like the type to get emotional."

"And so you offered to help her?"

"I help everybody," Evelyn replied easily. She stood up and dusted herself off.

"Going to dinner?"

"I'll be back soon. You stay out of trouble, little dude."

After she finished her dinner, she opened her door and almost had a heart attack at the severed hand rolling around with Arnold on the floor.

"Help!"

"Hands off!" she growled, grabbing the large hand with both of hers and pinning it under herself. To her surprise, the sentient hand started dragging her around the floor, wildly twisting and rolling. She grabbed the knife under her desk as this thing rampaged past and slammed it in the path, causing it to stop. Arnold walked up to the severed hand, his chest puffed up as he slapped the hand and crossed his arms.

"Arnold. You brought this – this – 'thing' here?!" Evelyn hissed at the sugar glider, who sank back and dove into her bed. Ignoring this, she lifted up the writhing hand, trying her best to hold it still as it flopped around like a dead fish.

"What are you and why are you here?" she demanded, shaking the hand slightly. The hand formed itself into a pointer finger and pointed at her desk. Evelyn walked over and put it down, turning on her lamp and shining it in the hand's 'face'. It winced and shrank back.

"Oh, don't be dramatic. You can't even see," Evelyn hissed, holding it down. "Now what are you?"

She watched the hand tap something out on the table.

"You call yourself Thing? Lovely. Where's the rest of you?" Evelyn's eyes narrowed as the hand just shrugged.

She sighed and went to her bed, falling onto it dramatically. She looked over to see Thing giving her the rude finger.

"Listen. I don't want anything to do with you so you need...you need to go."

Thing tapped out another message.

"I don't care that you're not meant to be seen. I don't want you here."

Arnold scampered up Evelyn's shoulder. "He doesn't have a place to go. For a few nights, come on."

"Arnold, it just tried to kill you." Evelyn deadpanned.

Thing slapped its hand on the table indignantly.

"Sorry. He just tried to kill you." She rephrased.

"I brought him here. He needs somewhere to sleep."

"He's a disembodied appendage. He can sleep anywhere."

Arnold didn't say anything, just stared at her.

"Fine! Fine! He can stay here," Evelyn relented, to which Arnold sprang across the room to give Thing a high-five. "But, Thing. Stay out of trouble. I am not responsible for anything that happens to you."

Thing tapped his fingers on the table in a somewhat sassy manner.

"Harbouring a fugitive — Thing!" Evelyn shrieked in both shock and horror. Arnold leapt from the bed to the desk to wrestle with Thing, causing the girl to let out a deep sigh.