25

The firelight flickered on Wednesday and Evelyn's face as Weems paced angrily in front of them. Evelyn had no idea what was going on.

"Ms...I don't know what I did-"

Weems laughed humourlessly, "Don't mess with me, Ms Dolce. Ms Addams sets fire to the brand new Crackstone statue and you are nowhere to be found. That was a disaster. The mayer is furious. I've lost count of the amount of angry phone calls, emails, and people in the town, alumni and parents. They want answers and so do I!"

Evelyn looked down at the eerily calm Wednesday for answers. "I would lead the inquisition but I left my thumbscrews and racks at home."

"And you, Ms Dolce?" Weems asked, inhaling sharply.

"I have absolutely no idea. I got bored so I went to get some food. I must have fallen asleep on the way back..." Evelyn replied innocently.

Weems pointed between the two of them. "Both of you young ladies are on thin ice. Wafer-thin ice!"

Evelyn was at a loss. She had never seen Weems so...so furious before.

"I swear on my late scorpion's soul. Both Evelyn and my hands are clean. Isn't that right?" Wednesday looked up at Evelyn expectantly,

"Squeaky clean, Ms," Evelyn added hastily.

Weems stared straight into Wednesday's soul, "I may not have hard evidence but I see you. You're a trouble magnet. Both of you."
At that point, Wednesday stood up and took a step towards Weems, in between the principal and Evelyn. "If trouble means standing up to lies, decades of discrimination, centuries of treating outcasts like second-class citizens or worse..."

"What are you talking about?"

"Jericho. Why does this town even have an outreach day? Don't you know it's real history with outcasts? The actual story of Joseph Crackstone?"

Weems gritted her teeth together, "Of course I do."
"Then why be complicit in its cover up? Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it..." Wednesday's hand clenched into a fist.

"That's where you and I differ. Where you see doom, I see an opportunity to improve normie-outcast relations. Forge a brighter future."

"Nothing has changed," Evelyn piped up quietly.

"Excuse me?"

"They still hate us. Except now they sugar-coat it with platitudes and smiles."

Weems' face scrunched up. "You're exhausting."

A shadow of a smile came to Wednesday's face. "I know."

Weems looked down on them, "Goodnight, Ms Dolce, Ms Addams."

Without another word, Wednesday grabbed Evelyn by the arm and began to drag her out. "But you should know."
Wednesday froze in her tracks. "I don't tire easily.

The two made it out into the hallway and stood like that for a moment.

Awkward, awkward silence permeated the air.

"Well, I'll be headed to my lab now."

Wednesday's hand rushed out and grabbed onto her wrist. Evelyn looked at her curiously as Wednesday gaped for a second. "You didn't..."

"I didn't...?" Evelyn asked.

"You didn't stay for my performance." Wednesday looked adorably embarrassed.

"I had...somewhere to be. Like I have somewhere to be now. So, unless there's anything else..." Evelyn said, slowly pulling her wrist back.

"One more thing." Wednesday couldn't look at Evelyn. "Would you...Do-Could you...I-Nevermind. Forget it. Forget I said anything."

Evelyn's eyes flitted over Wednesday's face. She had never seen her completely lose her words like that before. "Alright, Wednesday." 

IM BACKKKKKKKKK