Chapter Two: Out of Place

Danielle walked downstairs with her notebook and The Pictures of Dorian Gray clutched into her hands tightly

Danielle walked downstairs with her notebook and The Pictures of Dorian Gray clutched into her hands tightly. The memories of the moment before with Arianna played in her mind in a devious loop. She absentmindedly walked towards the exit of the building. Before she could exit, she felt a hand on her shoulder. She jumped at the sudden touch. Turning around, she saw Ryan standing behind her with an apologetic smile.

Danielle eyed him with suspicion. "What do you want?"

"Nothing." Ryan held up his hand. "Mrs. Kashyap had asked me to ask you whether you are interested in playing Juliet in the play."

Danielle sighed. "No, I am not interested."

Mrs. Kashyap, their drama teacher was convinced that no one other than Danielle could play Juliet Capulet. Since Danielle played Portia in 'The Merchants of Venice', Mrs Kashyap was adamant that Danielle could play any role with ease. Due to her persistence, Danielle had to play Ophelia in 'Hamlet', Cordelia in 'King Lear', Helena in 'Midsummer Night's Dream', 'Desdemona' in "Othello', 'Violet Hunter" in "The Copper Beeches" and many more. Apart from the main lead, Danielle had acted in several plays as the second lead- only because she had denied playing the main lead.

"She is really persistent on the fact that no one can act as Juliet except you," Ryan informed.

"Look, I--" Danielle was cut off by Xavier storming past her, out of the building. His urgency confused her, greatly. Xavier was just now lying on the grass with a laid-back attitude and now all of a sudden, he was hurrying somewhere. Xavier Alvarez was the epitome of mystery to Danielle.

Danielle cleared her throat and continued, "As I was saying, I am really not interested in playing Juliet Capulet. I just can't connect with her." Ryan nodded.

"I heard that Arianna is doing a great job playing Juliet," she added.

"But Mrs. Kashyap is making her life a living hell." Ryan let out a laugh.

Danielle furrowed. "What do you mean?"

"Mrs. Kashyap has been comparing Arianna to you since day one," Ryan said. "It's always 'this isn't how Danielle would have done it', 'Danielle would have done better than you' and many more. I can see how miserable Arianna feels even though she says nothing."

Danielle became quiet. Arianna had always wanted to act as the main character in a drama and when she got Juliet Capulet's role in Romeo and Juliet, she was over the moon. Danielle remembers Arianna running into their room and hugging her while babbling excitedly about her getting the role. In one word, Arianna was ecstatic to get the role.

Danielle could now guess why Arianna hated her all of a sudden. It was absolutely normal for Arianna to despise her. Danielle hated it when teachers became biased. She had always hated when teachers favoured a particular student over the other. She had faced this favouritism enough times to know the bitter taste of it which lingered even after the situation was over. Danielle would be lying if she said that she was not elated when she became Mrs Kashyap's favourite. But right now, she hated Mrs. Kashyap's behaviour.