Chapter Fourteen: Lost

A harsh push woke up Danielle

A harsh push woke up Danielle. Hastily sitting up, she came face to face with an infuriated Rayana, brandishing a pair of white surgical gloves in her hand. She cursed herself, internally. Of course, she forgot to hide this. After entering her room last night, she realised that she still had the gloves on her. Her first instinct was to throw it out of the window but she soon, realised it was a very dopey idea. Then, she decided to keep it inside her bedside drawer. Opening the gloves and keeping them on the bedside table, she was about to open the drawer when Rayana stirred in her sleep and mumbled something. Immediately, she dashed under her blanket and pretended to fall asleep. But unfortunately while pretending, she really fell asleep.

Rayana glowered at her. Waving the gloves before her, she asked in a demanding tone, "Where did these come from?" Then, pointing a finger at Danielle, she asked, now in a more severe tone, "And why are you all dressed up?"

Danielle lied through a parched throat. "I am not dressed up. It was freezing last night, so, I decided to wear warm clothes."

Rayana didn't look like she was convinced. "And what about these gloves?" She threw the gloves at Danielle's lap.

"Well, they are mine," Danielle lied. "I took them out yesterday. Who knows when I will need them?"

"It wasn't here last night," Rayana said, pointedly.

"It was," Danielle insisted. "You must've missed it in the dark."

Rayana snorted. "A white thing like this is a beacon in the darkness. I would've seen it if it were here."

Realising her lying attempts were failing miserably, Danielle was seized with an unfathomable anger. "Why do you? It's none of your business!"

Rayana was taken aback. She opened her mouth to say something but decided better than to do so.

Danielle continued, "Yes, it wasn't there, last night. Yes, it isn't mine. So, what? So, what is it to you? Why do you care? I am not obliged to tell you everything! So, kindly, mind your goddamn business!"

Danielle didn't wait for an answer. Pushing past Rayana, she opened the door. Before the door closed behind her, she heard Rayana, feebly, saying: "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to. Just don't push me away."

~

Danielle, again, found herself surrounded by books in the library. She didn't feel like going back to her room after lashing out at Rayana like that. To say she was feeling guilty would be an understatement. Horrible was the more accurate word. Drowning herself in self-rebuke, she, mindlessly, flipped through the pages of The Bell Jar, her mind crowded with various thoughts- some morbid, some guilt-ridden, some hopeful. If someone had peeped inside her head at that moment, she was sure they would've taken her for a madwoman. Maybe she was going mad. But right now, she didn't care. It didn't matter.