Chapter Ten: Mystery Boy

Wednesday morning came at a steady, ominous pace

Wednesday morning came at a steady, ominous pace. Even with the bright sunshine and gentle, caressing breeze, Danielle didn't feel anything but dread and hopelessness. Laying on the bed, staring at the ceiling, thousands of thoughts clouded her mind; making it difficult for her to focus on one. She could hear the soft melody Rayana hummed while sitting on her bed and painting. There seemed to be an invisible barrier between the two residents of the room; one was shrouded in misfortune and despair while the other aliglight with childish joy and freedom.

A sharp knock on the door pulled Danielle out of her sombre reverie. Propping herself on her elbows, she looked at Rayana, questioningly. Rayana looked utmost irritated at the disruption. With a deep frown on her face, she flung open the door. Outside stood Xavier Alvarez. The mere sight of him filled Danielle with a newfound hope. He had become a much-coveted gust of fresh air to her. Scrambling to her feet, she hurried towards the door.

"I see, you aren't exactly pleased to see me," Xavier said, casually with an undertone of apathy. "But that doesn't matter. I am here for Danielle." Then, directing his gaze towards Danielle, he said, "Meet me in the library now. Also, don't forget to bring it."

Without sparing a glance at Rayana who had started to speak, Xavier walked away; his steps imposing and self-assured.

As soon as he disappeared down the stairs, Rayana slammed the door closed with an annoyed huff. "That guy is so full of himself. Unbelievable!"

"He is." Danielle failed to resist as her lips tugged up in a smile.

Rayana sat back down on her bed, her legs dangling over the edge. "So, what's the thing he asked you to bring?"

Danielle, with her back turned towards Rayana and her head inside the wardrobe, winced at the question. Pulling out the picture carefully and tucking it safely inside the front pocket of her shirt, she turned towards Rayana. With extreme cautiousness, she answered, "I am sorry but I can't tell you."

To say Rayana was angry would be an understatement. The look on her face was a concoction of bewilderment and furiousness with a tinge of betrayal. Rayana had to physically strain herself to stop herself from shouting at Danielle. "So, you don't trust your best friend anymore. Not enough to tell her what it is that Xavier is asking you to bring. But you do trust a boy you started talking to a day or so ago more than your best friend; more than me to tell him all your secrets."

"Rayana!" Her name escaped as a desperate plea from Danielle's lips. At a time like this Danielle was terrified to lose one of her few allies. She needed them desperately now, more than all her life.

"What?" Rayana asked, brusquely. "Go on. Prove me wrong."

Danielle heaved a sigh. "I am sorry but I can't. I will tell you, soon. But not now. I can't. But please don't misunderstand me." The words uttered by her sounded like a solemn prayer; a prayer for Rayana to not abandon her when she needed her the most.