FORTY: The Plan To Reconcile The Ex-Lovers

Author's Note: Cussing. Profanities.

Y/N

Y/N

"OH MY! You're finally here, Y/N-chan! Merry Christmas!"

I was immediately greeted by my grandmother's bone-crushing hug as soon as I set foot at the cafe's main entrance. Since it was Christmas day, the shop was temporarily closed for the day so that the employees could spend the holiday with their loved ones. "Merry Christmas to you too, Grandma."

Grandma Chiyo pulled away and looked past my shoulder as if she was expecting another person to come. "Where is Manjiro-kun? Aren't you supposed to be together?"

"Well, we are. But he has somewhere else to go right now and just dropped me off here," I answered timidly. "Why are you looking for him, Grandma?"

Grandma touched her cheek and sighed. She looked rather disappointed. "At this hour? Oh, that silly boy. You should've let him stay even for just a minute, Y/N-chan. I was planning to give him some pastries I baked for his family."

I pursed my lips as I stared at my grandmother with a blank face. You should've told me about it in the text message, Grandma. Howbeit, I gave her a different response, "I could hand over the pastries to him for you, Grandma."

She plastered a grateful smile. "Thank you, Y/N-chan. That would be wonderful."

I stayed with Grandma for a while and helped her sort out some of the cafe's commodities. Afterward, she gave me her Christmas present which was a pair of wool-knitted (f/c) mittens with an adorable cat design. They were so cute that I wore them quite instantly.

"Do you like your gift, Y/N-chan?" she asked.

I nodded earnestly and my eyes glinting. I couldn't be any happier than this. She always knew my love for cats. "Thank you so much, Grandma!"

Grandma chuckled. "I'm delighted to hear that, dear." Then, she slightly frowned. "Though, I have to warn you and Manjiro-kun not to display too much affection in public. I could see you two youngsters do that earlier through the glass windows."

My eyebrow twitched. "O-of course, Grandma. We promise not to do it again." I silently cursed Mikey for getting us caught in the act. Damn that midget. I felt embarrassed because of him.

Grandma brewed hot chocolate for me and also baked some tasty gingerbread cookies to enjoy while the two of us chatted. Mikey was absolutely right. I should also spend this holiday with Grandma Chiyo. Being with her at times like this made me really happy even if my parents weren't here. She was the best grandmother I ever had and will always be my family no matter what. Her homebaked cookies were also exceptionally good.

"By the way, Grandma. Do you have any news about Mom and Dad?" I could not help but ask. Even though I knew they did not care much about their daughter, they were still my parents. "I haven't heard from any of them in the past few months."