Chapter: 3

*picture of Noah

N A T A L I A

The main ceremony passed by in a blur, with Rhea officially crowned as the leader of Caia. My mother beamed with pride as she announced my sister's ascension, and the clan embraced her with open arms. She had already been favoured by everyone as she had prepared for this moment.

The guests, a diverse assembly of vampires and witches, a rare opportunity to strengthen alliances, also celebrated the welcome of the new leader.

Amidst the laughter and animated chatter, I observed the tight-knitted bonds amongst the happy families with a sense of longing. Days like these magnified the void in my heart.

Forced smiles masked the turmoil within me as I navigated the festivities, concealing the ache of unfulfilled longing. Despite the warmth of companionship surrounding me, I couldn't shake the sense of isolation that gnawed at my soul.

I found myself grappling with emotions that I had long buried beneath the weight of duty and training, the emotions resurfacing now. This wasn't the time Natalia, I reminded myself.

I felt a surge of gratitude as the familiar figure of a vampire appeared in my vision, pulling me from the depths of my emotions.

Before I could think any further, I was enveloped in a warm embrace.

"Well, if it isn't the one person I've been looking for," he exclaimed with enthusiasm. "It's been exactly ten seconds. My new personal record."

Rolling my eyes playfully, I stepped back from the embrace. "Good to see you too, Noah," I replied, masking my own excitement.

Noah's keen gaze studied me intently, detecting the seriousness in my demeanor before he turned to scan the crowd. "Who's the impostor?"

Confused, I arched a brow at him. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"You seem unusually dense," he commented, giving me a side glance. "Who do I have to kill?"

"I'm on duty," I reminded him, straightening my posture and refocused on my responsibilities.

My friend since childhood, let out a melodramatic sigh. "Looks like I'll be stuck here with you instead of stirring up trouble with the witches," he remarked, feigning sadness. "What a wasted opportunity."

Giving him a glare, I replied. "In case you forgot, I'm also a witch."

As if actively trying to provoke me, my retort elicited a smirk from the blonde, his crimson eyes taking on a deeper hue.

"You need to loosen up, Nat," he urged. "You're always so stiff at these gatherings. Let go a little. Enjoy yourself."

"I can't jeopardise their safety for my own selfish needs," I countered, my protective instinct flaring, referring to the clan.

Noah's playful demeanor faded, replaced by a seriousness that caught my attention. He regarded me with a sober expression.

"I'm not suggesting that," he said simply. "I'm saying, don't let your upbringing dictate your life. They are safe and you know that better than anyone."