Chapter: 33

N A T A L I A

I leaped into Callum's arms upon hearing the news, my anger dissipating.

He was safe, and she was gone. Perhaps, leaving him to attend Caia alone hadn't been so bad after all. I felt a surge of happiness at the thought.

But as Callum tentatively returned the embrace, my wolf noted there was something off. Did our mate regret killing the blonde?

Pulling away, I observed his blank expression, narrowing my eyes.

"You didn't want her dead," I stated matter-of-factly.

My response prompted a glance with an inscrutable expression from him. "You wanted her dead?"

"I thought that was clear," I replied, shrugging. "She provoked me about you and then betrayed me to my mother."

Callum stiffened at my words, as if realising something. His brows tightened and his jaw clenched as he looked down at me.

Shaking his head, he clarified hastily, "It wasn't Chelsea that I killed."

Confusion washed over me at his reply, my sudden happiness diminishing. "What do you mean? That's what you said."

His returning gaze at my words made me frown as a growing sense of anxiety coursed through me.

Before he could utter a word, to reveal the reality that I was struggling to grasp, the beta's voice echoed around us.

'Put something on,' Callum commanded through our mind link.

Narrowing my eyes at him, I didn't argue but complied, not particularly wanting to be nude in front of other pack members.

I swiftly put on a simple outfit and also retrieved a pair of shorts for Callum.

Felix approached shortly after we were both dressed.

He casted a quick glance at me before he turned to address my mate. "All the men have retreated, and I've sent a couple to search for the traitors."

"Any leads?" Callum inquired, reaching out to intertwine our hands before he started walking, pulling me along.

It looked like we were headed back to the pack.

Him and Felix proceeded to discuss pack matters, but I was hung up on what Callum had told me, not able to remain focused on the pair.

I couldn't help but ponder on his revelation. If it wasn't Chelsea he had killed, who did he kill?

My anxious consciousness was urging me to locate my mother and sister to make sure it wasn't any of them, when thoughts of Glenda crossed my mind.

My wolf wanted her dead, and Callum had made it clear he did too.

I didn't get to ponder further when we arrived at the pack's territory. We must have walked much faster than I realised.

"Monitor the borders and ensure the pack's unharmed," Callum instructed Felix before turning to me. "Are you okay?"

Felix disappeared with a curt nod.