11 | Déjà Vu, pt. 1

"But I won't catch you if you let go,
I'll pick apart the things you let fold.
If that's what you want I guess we'll move on.
I'm sorry, I'm sorry, babe.

I only tell the truth because I miss you,
But there you stood so many worlds away.
We'd scale the walls just before they crumble,
Put it on the line just to reel it in."

A BEAM OF sunlight sneaked its way into my bedroom and almost blinded me. Sitting up in my bed, I rubbed my eyes and let out a small yawn. It had been almost a week since the Winter Ball, and things had cooled down quite a bit. I was spending more of my lunch breaks at Jake's table whenever Asher would take Emily away to the Centre Table, and I had gotten quite close to Wesleigh. Jake kept me pretty occupied, taking me out for movies and coffee whenever we had spare time. However, I have to admit that life was significantly less exciting without the Royals.

Speaking about Emily, I haven't seen her, her fiancé or her fiancé's friends since yesterday. They all seemed to be absent at the same time, which was a little bit suspicious. I did text her to ask about her sudden absence, but she only said that she had to tend to some family business and did not elaborate any further.

I got out of bed and stretched lazily, and headed to the bathroom to freshen. I was just going to start preparing breakfast when someone rang my doorbell several times. Blinking, I wondered who it could be and wondered why they seemed to be in such a hurry.

"Just a second!" I hollered, and I tried not to slip as I slid to the door with my fluffy socks on. I opened the door without second thought, only to see a very livid, very distressed Siobhan Lanigan standing behind it. Beside her was Jonah Graves, a look of concern on his face as he held her hand.

"Siobhan?" I quirked an eyebrow, staring between the couple. What were they doing outside my room at eight in the morning on a Saturday?

"Is Emily here?" she asked anxiously, peering over my shoulder.

I shook my head, "No, she's not in school. She left to settle some family business."

"Goddamnit," Siobhan cursed loudly, kicking the door violently. My eyes widened a fraction at her erratic behaviour.

"Babe," Jonah soothed, kissing her temple softly and rubbing her back in an attempt to calm her down. In any other situation, I would've cooed at his sweet behaviour, but what he said next made the breath hitch in my throat.

"Don't worry. Asher's fine," Jonah murmured.

"But we don't know that!"

"What? What's wrong with Asher? And what does that have to do with me?" I asked, frowning in confusion. Siobhan sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose.

"Can we come in? It's kind of a long story," Siobhan murmured. Nodding, I beckoned them to enter the room. I blushed in embarrassment when I realised that my room was a mess, with school work strewn across the dining table and unwashed dishes in the sink. Jonah shot me an amused glance, causing me to turn a deeper shade of crimson. Both of them sat on the sofa in the middle of the living room, while I sat on the armchair opposite them.

"Drinks?" I offered in hopes to break the stormy tension. Both of them declined politely, and Siobhan fiddled with her thumbs for a while before speaking up.

"Asher's in the hospital," she finally said, rubbing her temple. My eyebrows shot up in surprise, since I didn't expect that at all.

"What? Why?"

"He's sick," she murmured.

I frowned slightly, sick? How sick?

"How did you find out?"