Chapter 10

^CONTAINS REFERENCES TO TORTURE! There are no details of the torture in this chapter and 
I assure you, no sexual assault of any kind. I think that sometimes the effects of the torture are more interesting to read about than the actual act so I left your imagination to fill in some of the details. ^

Those words hit me like a truck and I let go, stumbling back and away from my mate. He quickly reached out and steadied me before continuing on.

"I'm leaving Sasha and Robin here so that Gio and I can take care of this. I won't let anyone touch you."

"Isn't that dangerous? I don't want you to get hurt."

"It won't be only me and Gio. Besides, even on a bad day most of these lions are ones I can take down on my own so you have no need to worry."

That only made me feel marginally better but I gave a slight nod in response. Xavier wrapped me in his arms and rested his head on top of mine.

"Don't worry. I won't let anything happen to you."

I inhaled his cedar scent deeply in an effort to steady myself and nodded.

"I know you won't. I trust you."

The sound of the front door opening alerted us to the others presences and I reluctantly parted. Sasha was unusually serious and Robin appeared as impassive as ever.

"Alpha. Luna."

Xavier straightened his back and nodded to them.

"Keep my mate safe."

Both bowed their heads slightly. Giovanni made a brief appearance at the door and Xavier gave me one last glance before following him out, taking my peace of mind and sanity with him.

After they left, Sasha turned to me with a bit of pity in her eyes.

"Are you doing alright Luna?"

"I'm fine Sasha. Just a little shocked is all."

"Let's go sit in the den for a while. Robin, would you like me to patrol first?"

Robin shook his head and strode out without saying a word. He really wasn't very talkative at all, was he?

"I can't relax much but that's no reason for you to stay anxious too. The alpha is one of the strongest lions you will ever meet and with me and Robin around, you won't have anything to worry about."

Her attempt to relieve me of my worry forced a small smile on my face.

"I know. Thank you."

"You should try to relax and watch some television then."

Obediently, I turned it on and found some Hallmark movie that I couldn't care less about. For the next hour and a half, I stared at the screen, occasionally reaching over to pet Bernie who had joined me. Finally the end came about for both the first patrol and the movie. Sasha gave me a reassuring smile as she left to replace him. Robin didn't say anything to me, leaving the room in painful silence. An uneasy feeling began to fill my stomach and I looked around to find Robin staring at me intently. In the next blink, he was looking towards the window like I had seen nothing.

"Um, I'm- I'm a little thirsty. I'm going to get a drink."

Bernie followed my rushed shuffle towards the kitchen and stayed near me as I filled a glass with tap water. Even though Gio and Xavier trusted Robin, I just couldn't. With such a strong feeling, there had to be a reason for my unease. For a brief second, I wished I had the wolf packs around, just to have their backup and opinion on the lion shifter.