Lollipops - Chapter 7

10:00 p.m.

That was the time, and still, Sirius Black lay flat on his back on his bed in the Sixth Year Gryffindor boys' dormitory, the faint snores of his roommates a useless lullaby to his ears. Useless because he was not going to sleep anytime soon.

He wouldn't. No, it wasn't because he was restless or anything. In fact, every five seconds his eyes would droop in exhaustion only to quickly jolt up upon sudden realization that he couldn't sleep just yet. At the moment, Sirius could understand why it was that the brain was considered to be the most complex part of the human body, because at the moment his mind was a whirlwind of thoughts and emotions.

Worry, fear, anxiety — they all built up in Sirius' chest, eating away at his conscious. Though, the thing that bugged him most was that all of those feelings were all for a girl. Naomi, to be exact. Not really due to attraction, but safety for the girl.

Now, Sirius really wasn't quite sure of his status with the girl; were they mere acquaintances? Friends? Although, their value to each other was very much irrelevant at the moment. There were more important things to worry for, such as life or death...

Okay, perhaps he was being a tad bit dramatic, but still, in his eyes, Slytherins were untrustworthy, and were always up to trouble. So, he could only imagine what Regulus and Snape were up to with innocent Naomi.

With every passing second, Sirius contemplated what could be happening among the three, and each suggestion formed a deeper pit in his stomach. The anxiety was very pressuring, but he wasn't quite sure what to do.

The Marauders Map lay open on his bedside table, having yet to be turned off with the closing spell of 'Mischief Managed'. Beside it lay his wand, sprawled out recklessly. It was not yet put away because the teenager had yet to decide if it was going to be put of use that night.

But, if Sirius was so keen on musing over the events, then why not take action? After all, he was a Marauder. Well, the thought of that had already reached Sirius' mind, and he was indeed keen on the idea of interfering with what might've been happening among the three, but upon mulling over this, he came to a sudden realization; maybe Naomi didn't need any help.

To explain, Sirius thought that perhaps, if it just so happened that worst came to worst and the three were having a duel, maybe she was handling it just fine — perhaps she was even winning!

Though, if they were having a wizard's duel, then why wasn't anyone moving? Meaning that the three had remained in the same positions since Sirius first saw them together on the map; in the formation of a triangle. If the three really were having a duel, then why weren't they showing any sign of movement?

Overall, Sirius' mind was one glorious mess.

To interfere or not to interfere...

The positives and negatives of both options were very identifiable, which made the job of deciding for Sirius all the more difficult. Each idea was considerable to a great amount.

Sirius stayed up for another few minutes pondering the situation upon him until at last, he came to an abrupt understanding that made him feel stupid for not recognizing it any sooner.

He was a Gryffindor.

Sirius knew that to some, that was simply a worthless piece of information, but to him it was way more than just that. A Gryffindor was someone who dwelled brave at heart; showed courage in the face of danger.