Lollipops - Chapter 29

Time stopped as Naomi stared at her ex-boyfriend. He stared at her for a moment as well, shock evident on his face. He clearly hadn't expected to see Naomi, especially at that time of day. The two had not crossed paths throughout the year.

His eyes suddenly narrowed, and he rather snippily asked her, "What are you doing here?"

She was displeased at his rude tone. Didn't he understand that she did not want to cross paths with him either? Although Naomi wasn't really stuck on their breakup, she still believed that they would do best to keep out of each other's path. It wasn't like they'd left off on good terms.

After pondering over her thoughts, Naomi decided to finally answer Drew's question. "What I'm doing here is none of your business."

She said it politely, though there was a firm edge in her voice. Drew was quick to respond.

"Actually, it is. You're out after curfew,"

Naomi narrowed her eyes very slightly. She wondered why her being out after curfew was a concern of Drew's. However, as her eyes roamed over him, she took note of the prefect badge pinned to his chest. As a prefect, it actually was his duty to get into others' business.

She warily lied. "Okay, well, it won't happen again."

That was a lie, of course. Naomi loved to wander out after curfew, when everything was quiet. Drew, after having been her boyfriend, knew what she was like. In fact, he used to participate in their nighttime adventures himself. So, he scoffed. "That's a bold-faced lie if I've ever seen one. As a prefect, I'm giving you detention,"

Naomi slightly narrowed her eyes again, but she didn't believe that she could object to a prefect, so she stiffly nodded. Drew looked pleased, for an unknown reason. Naomi wasn't willing to wait for him to say anything to her, so she silently walked around him and began to follow her route to the Ravenclaw Tower.

Drew stood in the same position, though, settling for watching Naomi retreat. An excited smile was on his face...

–————

"Hey, Naomi! Naomi, wait for me!"

A voice shouted in the crowd. It was morning time, and all the students were jumbled about in the crowded halls, on their way to the Great Hall. Naomi was amongst the students in the corridors, but having heard her name, she turned around for the source of the noise. She caught sight of Remus, about a head taller than nearly everyone in the crowds. He was waving her over.

Naomi slightly smiled at Remus, and made her way over to him. People curiously glanced back at the pair, but she payed no mind. Remus smiled in relief when he saw her approaching.

"Hey," he smiled when she made her way in front of him. "So, I was thinking about everything that happened yesterday; your cancer. I did some research..."

"Oh, Remus," Naomi exasperatedly sighed.

"No, listen to me," Remus persisted. At that point, the two were walking towards the huge Great Hall. "So, I found out that there's no definite cure for cancer, but Blighting's Bite is a great help. If only the muggles—"

"That's great, Remus," Naomi rolled her eyes, not unkindly, "But I'd best head over to the Ravenclaw table."

At that point, the two were already in the Greta Hall. Remus pointedly looked at her blue and bronze tie and frowned.

"You can sit at the Gryffindor table with me. Although it's not really common for students of other houses to sit at other tables, it's still allowed. Just not during dinner. And, even if it wasn't allowed—which it is—then I'd probably have the privilege to, seeing as I'm a prefect and all."