Lollipops - Chapter 8

"You!" Naomi gasped, the simple word emitting from her mouth with sincere shock. For, the person previously standing under a cloak of invisibility was the notorious Sirius Black, his stormy eyes locking with her blue ones. The moment he revealed his cover, Naomi was alarmed.

However, in a matter of seconds, the blonde began to return to her original state. In a casual tone of voice she said to Sirius in a joking manner of mocking disbelief, "You? Again? Well, we've got to stop meeting like this!"

Sirius blinked.

He was in a state of disbelief and clearly held no shame in expressing so. With his mouth gaping like a fish's and eyes as wide as a new-born baby's, Sirius gawked at the girl, "W-What?"

In return, she kindly smiled; a smile so casual that Sirius may as well have been convinced that he had asked her what time it was. Keeping up the act of innocence, Naomi peered at the boy and queried, "What is it that you want?"

It was then that Sirius became utterly confused. He wondered, did Naomi not care about the fact that she'd encountered two Slytherins? In fact, did she even know that the people she had faced were Slytherins? Surely, she must not have — if she did, she would have reacted much more greatly, wouldn't she? He didn't care if one was his brother, just that he was a Slytherin.

Sirius balked at her in a hushed yell — he didn't want to awaken anyone, of course — "What were you doing with them?"

She furrowed her eyebrows and pursed her lips, all evidence of innocence diminishing as she eyed him slowly and carefully. "Who, Regulus and Severus?"

"Yes!" His eyes bulged.

"I'm just confused — you've come all this way just to confront me about who I've been hanging out with? In the dead of night?" She lightly asked him.

"Well that's-that's completely beside the point," he stammered in a flustered state, and if even possible, his eyes enlarged, expressively trying to get the point over.

"Really? Then why are you here?" Naomi asked. She wasn't even passive aggressive in any sort of way; just genuinely confused. There was no trace of fierceness in her tone, and surprisingly, her tone of voice made her appear as though she was sincerely asking a question.

"I was worried," Sirius began to regain his composure as the slick and smooth, dashing young man. He cleared his throat and carried on, "What were you doing with the likes of them — Slytherins! They're pretty dodgy, and I wouldn't be surprised if they just sprung upon you and attacked,"

Naomi looked appalled; offended even, and as Sirius wondered where it was that he went wrong, the girl justified her sudden unhappy demeanour, voice no longer as gentle as it was before, "There's nothing wrong with Regulus and Severus, " she said matter-of-factly, "I'll have you know that they're my friends!"

Her words hit Sirius like a wrecking ball. Baffled; shaken up — those were the only words to describe how the boy felt at Naomi's words. The pang that erupted in his chest may as well have been a bomb. No, he was not emotionally hurt, just... surprised. Words couldn't even begin to describe his bafflement, and they weren't going to either way, for, with a swift and breezy glance, Naomi turned on her heel and began to weave her way around him, speedily walking away, and leaving no room for further conversation.

Sirius did not take to this lightly. He dumbly stared after her for a moment before he realized she had walked away on him. Without further ado, the teenage boy hastily followed her lead, easily catching up with her because of his long legs.

Once he accomplished his goal of reaching the girl, Sirius lightly lay a hand on her shoulder, preventing her from walking any further. She didn't turn around, but she did willingly stop, and because of this, Sirius seemed to have gotten the idea that she was listening, for he spoke to her, his voice tinted with faint disbelief, "What do you mean you're friends with them? They're Slytherins,"

He could feel Naomi tense up at his words, and he took this as a warning to gently pry his hand away from her petite shoulder, but still, she seemed to have felt the need to turn around and size Sirius up and down. He didn't necessarily feel nervous under her studying gaze, but he did when Naomi, still staring at Sirius, chuckled. Chuckled. A chuckle so unexpected that in some aspects made it fearful.

"Do you really think you're in a rightful place to judge someone in a negative way without knowing them simply because they're shunned by everyone else?" She questioned his audacity. He blinked several times in shock, surprised by her words. Though, quite frankly, if Sirius was already surprised by what the girl said, he was surely going to faint after hearing her following words, "I'd deem that as very hypocritical, given the fact that werewolves are not respected by half of the Wizarding Community, yet you seem to be completely fine with them."

Sirius' heart stopped, as well as time and the breaths he should've been taking but couldn't. Because, Sirius had a secret, one that no one except him and three other people were supposed to know. It was that, he, as well as James Potter and Peter Pettigrew, were animaguses, and they had become that for the sole purpose of helping their best friend, Remus Lupin, on every full moon in the Shrieking Shack, because Remus was a werewolf.

Though, Sirius found himself wondering, if no one but them four were supposed to have knowledge of their secret, then why was it that Naomi Serdeys had shown signs of knowing it twice. Just a few days ago, Naomi had asked him a question about animaguses. Now, she mentioned Sirius taking a liking to werewolves.

With a burning feeling in his chest and his stomach churning, Sirius looked up to speak to Naomi, only to find that no one was standing in the place that she directly stood at moments before.

Sirius looked around desperately until at last he came to the conclusion that she had sneaked off during the time that he was zoned out.

He checked around one last time to make sure that she really wasn't around before slipping on the Invisibility Cloak and heading off. But, why was Sirius so calm about the matter at hand? He could've been put in Azkaban if his secret got out!

The only thought keeping Sirius sane was, 'Once is an incident, twice is a coincidence,' and he couldn't forget the last line, 'Thrice means buisness.'

Twice, Naomi gave hints that she knew of Sirius' secret. It was only a matter of time before she gave a third one.

————–

Okay so I promised to get an update in by today (Thursday) and it's literally 11:57 pm I've never typed so fast in my life cuz I'm trying to keep my promise!

You know that phrase that I plugged in, 'Once is an incident, twice is a coincidence, thrice means buisness'? Yeah well, I forgot the third line so I literally just made it up on the spot cuz there was no time to search it up. I don't care if it's wrong.

QOTD: Summer or Winter?
AOTD: Winter

Vote and comment!

Love,
      Manny