Chapter 46: "Don't call me that."

A N D R E W D A L T O N

I watch Shortcake as she speeds away, and I turn back to the direction where she was sprinting from, forlorn and perplexed. My eyes land on my answer: Aria.

Luckily for her, the bell chimes off, and she quickly spins on her heel and heads in the opposite direction. I look to Jacob, and he shrugs with his lips pressed in a line, turning back and walking off in the same direction as Aria went.

***********

So far, three class periods have rolled by, and Shortcake has been ignoring me ever since break when Aria said something to her. I still have no idea what I could've done to upset her, but my intuition is telling me that Aria had something to do with this, as she was the last person Shortcake was with, along with Jacob. Correction, Aria definitely had something to do with this.

I stepped into Calculus and saw Shortcake sitting in her normal seat, talking to Bree who was leaning against the line of cabinets pushed against the wall

As if sensing my entrance, her head snapped towards the door, and the smile she wore on her face turned into a blank, stoic expression. Bree notices her sudden change in mood and glances my way. Her grin also turned into a tight-lipped line, communicating a you've really messed up this time look.

The bell rings and Bree makes her way to the back of the class where her assigned seat is. Shortcake looks away and gives Bree a crestfallen smile.

I stand in front of my desk and open my mouth to say something, but Shortcake shakes her head and looks out the window. My mouth closes into a frown, and I take my seat beside her.

Mr. Kent reviews one of the problems in our textbook, but I focus solely on Shortcake. I glance over at her numerous times, pleading for her to look at me. But she refuses and continues on as if I'm not even there.

The bell rings for lunch, and before I can even put away my notebook, Shortcake is already out the door with Bree following. I dump the rest of my things into my bag, not caring if everything even makes it into the bag completely, and hurry out to the hall. I glance left and right, but she's already gone.

I dash to her normal lunch spot, but it's vacant. I saunter towards the table and take a seat, waiting for Shortcake to arrive.

I frantically turn my head back and forth as I search for her baby pink highlights among the sea of people.

It seems like only five minutes have passed, but soon enough, the bell rings and no sign of Shortcake shows. Subconsciously, I run a hand through my hair and somberly get up, defeated and confused about this situation.

***********

Leaning against the side window of my car, I spot Aria pass through the front doors of the school, two of the other cheerleaders by her side.

I stroll up to her, and the two girls dispersed.

"Hey, Andrew." She grins widely, but a gleam of mischief permeate fiercely in her eyes.

"What did you tell her?" I demand, eyes narrowed slightly.

"What are you talking about?" She tries her best to act clueless, shaking her head in confusion.

"You know damn well what I'm talking about. You said something to Sophie this morning, and somehow, your words are messing with her brain and screwed up our relationship," I growled.

"Oh sweetie," Aria takes a step forward and stares boldly into my eyes, "I'm not the one who screwed up your relationship." A mischievous smirk playing at her lips, "You did." She lightly taps my chest with her index finger.