The Wedding

--Eloise--

"God, Eloise, you're frustrating me to no end!" King growled as I failed to comply with the final dress rehearsal of the wedding. "Why must you insist on making this harder than it already is? You've made nothing but a hassle through all the preparations!" He sterned, eliciting a fatigued groan from me as I slumped further into the pew. His constant berating was such a headache to listen to. And, why should I bother with making this wedding look perfect? I didn't acknowledge it as a real one so why should I bother putting in any effort into something I'm clearly forced to do? I wonder if any of the guests could tell that this was a sham or not?

"Is this not good enough already? I'm tired of this," I muttered out disobediently. I just wanted this to be over and done with no matter how shit the execution is.

"You'll come to understand that traits such as laziness are not part of the adult life. There is plenty of etiquette that's expected for the high-class life. Behaving at your wedding is the bare minimum. If you want the new people in your life to give even the slightest hesitation before crushing you to benefit themselves, you'll have to put in the same amount of dedicated effort every day until you become someone that's of value to others," Ashton lectured. I pretended to gag.

"God, you sound like my mom. And, the fact that I'm marrying you makes that image even worse," I shivered. I heard him growl and decided to stop there. He's already shown me how violent and trigger-happy he gets when something pisses him off and I don't want it happening now. "Just calm down, will you? I know what I'm supposed to be doing. Everything will-"

"Ms Lettner! Mr King!" a frantic voice of a woman called out from the distance. Both King and I turned to a figure running towards us. I peered closer and realised that it was Abagail, the maid that had been assigned to me. I didn't realise she'd be here as well. She tripped as expected at King's feet amidst her panic, but quickly scrambled up again.

King eyed her coldly. "What do you want?" Abagail stumbled on her words, stuttering as she let out incoherent sentences. "Just tell me what it is before I fire you!" She froze rigid at that threat before I sighed and touched her shoulder.

"Abagail, what is it?"

She cleared her throat and pulled at my arm. "Um, Miss Lettner should see this for herself." I raised an eyebrow. "We went to your room to check if you were there, but...your bouquet...it was ruined..." she nervously mumbled. I perked up an eyebrow but stared on indifference. Ruined? Yeah, I can guess who the culprits were. I shouldn't have left it in there with those two bimbos, but what to do? It is what it is.

King's hand griped Abagail's uniform roughly as he yelled a variety of curses, threats and demands at her. I sat back down on the pew to let them sort it out. As long as there's a little bit of it left to salvage, it should be fine. "Miss Lettner, please! You should go and discuss with the florist what should be done," Abigail fretted as if I actually cared about the flowers. I sighed and got up from the benches. Well, it's either that or repeating this stupid ceremony with King. I'll just tell the florist to make do with what's left.

I sauntered through the hotel and into the private elevator to my suite. It probably wasn't even that bad. Abagail seems like the type to exaggerate anyways. I walked out of the elevator as soon as it opened. I turned the corner to my room and saw two workers carrying out chunks of torn flowers and ripped leaves through the door. They spotted me and seemed uneasy.

"Where's the florist?" I asked, scanning over the state of my bouquet. Well, those bitches certainly didn't hold back. It looked like shit, I won't lie. The bouquet itself wasn't whole anymore. The petals and leaves had been individually ripped off of their buds and laid as scraps on the ground. What a pain in the ass.