Chapter 1 Birthday Bash

I have always hated these parties that my parents host. I am not against charity parties. But what I hate, is the time wasted in getting ready and the need to put on a fake smile to all these obnoxious rich people who boast around their new yacht or cruise trips.

Oh! Sorry to be rude, where are my manners? My name is Emma Thompson. I am twenty-six years old and welcome to my charity/birthday party.

Yay me having rich ass birthday party thrown by my parents when I am completely capable of throwing my own.

I hear a knock in my bedroom door, before I could answer. My dear parents barge into the room with balloons, flowers and chocolates. They lead a parade of our loyal helpers, who for their share have there hands filled with gifts and food. Also, did I mention, they all are singing 'Happy birthday' song!

Before I get into what happened after they bombarded me with their wishes and gifts, let me introduce my beautiful mother Charlotte Thompson, Founder and Director of Global Communications. And my handsome father William Thompson, Co-Founder of Global Communications, plus a loyal sidekick for my mom both professionally and personally.

To be honest till date I have no idea what their work is.

All I know is that both have come to their positions with pure hard work and determination. My parents got me when they were quite young and for sure I wasn't part of their big dreams. But still they loved and supported me through the years.

They didn't force me to follow their footsteps and become the heir of family business. They told me always to do what I wish to and not what I should do!

My mom exclaims, "Darling you are twenty-six years old! I still can't believe you are a grown and mature lady already. I still remember when you used to poop around when you were a baby."

I am sure I am red with embarrassment, I retort, "Mom, not today at-least!"

Everyone in the room laughs wholeheartedly at our exchange, and my heart soars seeing their happy faces.

After controlling his laughter with a big smile on his face, my dad says, "So, my favorite daughter, what do you want for your birthday? The moon, stars or a new planet?"

I get up from my bed and respond, "Dad, first, I am your only daughter and no, I don't want anything. I just want us to enjoy a tasty breakfast our dear old Chef Mark makes."

I glance back and nod my head towards our butler, Mr. Charles. He calls out all the other helpers and leaves.

Before he leaves he wishes, "Happy birthday ma'am! I have placed the gifts and chocolates on the table. Hope you have a fun filled day."

For an hour or so my parents and I have a nostalgic walk down the memory lane as we watched some home videos and some embarrassing talent show events I was part of. Which was very cringe worthy from my side. But, totally the opposite reaction from my parents, as my mom sobs silently and is having her head placed on my dad's shoulder as my dad just looks content and pleased.

After discussing some notable events of my past, they leave my room and my mom pops her head back in and says, "Sweetheart don't forget the party! It's your birthday party and also a charity event. Please be there. I don't want the helpers and you playing hide and seek again."

I recall the memories and try to talk as I stifle in a laugh, "Mom it was one time and it was long, long ago."

My mom shakes her head, "But it happened right! Ok now forget it and come fast. We should wait for the food...."

Before she could complete I continue, "And not the other way around! Right mom?"

My mom rolls her eyes and voices, "Chop chop!"