thirty five

billie ran off the stage and hugged me as the crowd cheered.

"you're incredible." i smiled, kissing her on the cheek. she nodded a hello at bella who stood behind me before leading me to the greenroom. she didn't really like talking much after shows, so she would always just bring me back to the greenroom to keep away from people for a half hour.

we heard bella following us and turned around.

"can you leave us alone?" billie said, obviously annoyed and not in the mood for her.

"why did i even come? you just act like you don't want me around." bella asked. she was playing innocent and it was really starting to piss me off.

billie let out a shaky breath, turning around abruptly and getting right in bellas face. "i told you not to talk to me anymore. you cant just show up." she yelled.

"i figured you were just mad." bella said quietly.

"im still mad and i still don't want you around!"

bella stumbled backwards in fright. "oh."

"look, i know what we did wasnt all you but you knew that i wasn't comfortable. i didn't want to be rude to you but obviously i shouldn't have put your feelings first because it turns out you wouldn't do the same. im sorry but i don't regret anything more than that morning."

bella looked offended and upset, and i wondered if these past few weeks she'd been this clueless. it could all have been an act, but it seemed pretty real to me.

"ill just go." she mumbled, turning around the corner.

billie let out a sigh, looking down at her fingers.

"maybe i should go talk to her." i suggested.

billie nodded hesitantly. "ok. don't take too long."

i kissed her forehead and we went separate ways.

i walked down the corridor bella had gone down, opening the bathroom door to see if she was there. i was about to walk out when i heard the latch of one of the stalls unlock. i turned around, finding bella standing there.

"oh, joey-"

"can i talk to you?" i asked nervously.

"im so sorry for what i did. and for coming to ireland. i don't know what i was thinking." bella explained.

"look, ill forgive you for germany if you stop trying to sleep with my girlfriend- or trying to do anything of the sort."

bella held out her hand for me to shake it. "deal."

"is there anything i can do?" she asked apologetically.

"just... apologise to billie." i sighed, walking out to go back to billie.

***

"the festival is holding a thank you party for all the guest artists tonight." maggie told us as she walked up to our table in the lobby. things had been pretty chill with bella since yesterday, we went to bed in peace after she apologized to billie. we had just been hanging out in the lobby all day since billie wasn't performing again until tomorrow.

"i don't want to go." billie said immediately.

"billie, you have to go. it's for you." maggie rolled her eyes.

"and all the other artists." billie mumbled stubbornly.

"at least show your face. you can't just not go."