Chapter 13: Deep in Darkness

Possible trigger warning towards the middle of the chapter 

~

~

I woke back up on a sofa. It was comfy but the pain I was in, seriously made everything more horrible than normal.

"Golly, how could someone do that to anyone?" It was Two-bit talking and the sorrow in his voice made me sad. I wanted to tell him that I was ok, but I just didn't have the energy.

When I opened my eyes, Soda was listing the things I had in my bag. He turned to Darry and shook his head. "She was goin' to make us a chocolate cake Dar'."

Darry smiled sadly and came to sit my me. I closed my eyes, wanting to know what else they would say but he just kissed me on my forehead like I had been his younger sister for 14 years. I smiled and opened my eyes again, trying to get up.

"Don't move." He instructed and I didn't, not 'cause he told me too but 'cause the pain had just started to hurt more.

"Clums." Two-bit kneeled by the sofa. "What did ya do?" He was half serious but the glimmer in his eye made me feel warm and welcome.

"Nothing much." I said and he chuckled.

"That's the problem." Pony was pacing up and down. "Ya didn't scream or anything." He and Johnny looked down at me.

"I didn't want to." I lifted both my heads and saw the two cuts; one fresh and not in a straight line. Curly couldn't even cut it straight. "Where's Dally?" I asked, I couldn't see him in the room.

"Bucks. He went after we arrived here." Soda explained.

"Why?"

Johnny looked at Darry like there was something they weren't telling me. "Not our story to tell." Dar' said quickly and then changed the subject. "How ya feeling?"

"Fine." I lied but Johnny bent down and touched my side, which made me wince. "It hurts."

They just looked at each other again. "Ya know." Steve started. "Ya can tell us how ya feel." He smiled, showing his crooked teeth.

"I know."

"Then why don't ya, Clums." It was Two again and he sighed deeply.

"I can't." I said bluntly.

"Why?"

"I haven't been brought up that way." I didn't want to see their reactions so I closed my eyes and concentrated on my breathing. Breathe in. Breathe out. Repeat. Breathe in. Breathe out. I was still shaking from being overwhelmed but being in the company of the gang made me calm down. Curly couldn't hurt me anymore. "How'd ya get them to go away?"

"Curly." Two-bit scoffed. "We've know the Shepards for a long time and well, let's say Sir Winston has a lot of anger boiling in his stomach that came from the Shepards. Dally knows his weakness pretty well."

I narrowed my eyes but before I could speak up, Darry started on trying to find answers.

"Why were ya walking on ya own?"

"Dar' don't start this again, everyone does it." Soda cut in.

"I didn't want to go to the DX." I said, ignoring Soda helping me to stay out of trouble.

"Then why didn't ya shout. Make us aware ya needed some help." Darry added, looking at me straight in the eyes.

"How did ya find me?" I asked but Darry went off in the kitchen and came back again with the alcohol, a towel and a bandage but that was fine 'cause Johnny answered the question.