Chapter 19: Valance

The bus was a quick journey, on Monday. Me and Johnny talked 'bout nothing in particular and the conversations went nowhere, so when I stepped out, the only thing I had to think 'bout was how much pain my heavy bag was causing my shoulder to have.

For the first time, I saw a big gaggle of girls, waiting next to the bus I came off. This bus was normally swarming with greasers and usually, no Soc would ever go near it, unless they were looking for a fight.

Cherry was the centre of attention, and I remembered having to stand on the side lines whilst she would gossip 'bout who she was dating or who she had broken up with. I was so glad she would never dare come near me, again.

I pushed Johnny slightly to the left so we would miss the Socs by a mile but Cherry still came up to me.

"Look at ya." She said, patting me on the shoulder, to then wipe the remains of my germs off her hands and onto her skirt.

I started to walk away but she caught up to me, panting 'cause the flats she was wearing obviously weren't the right shoes to run in.

She smiled to me, the way she used to when the gossip she was telling would hurt someone. I moved away and pushed Johnny more to the left to get away from her.

"I just want a girl on girl talk." She said sweetly and looked at Pony and Johnny, as if her stare was going to send them away.

"Well I didn't agree with your talk so.... bye bye." I waved to her but she caught my hand.

"Ya'll want to hear it."

I turned round and said to Pony and Johnny not to wait for me."I can't believe I'm doing this. Hit me with it."

"Well. How ya been doing these past weeks? Missing the rich life?" She looked at me, intrigued.

"I knew ya were full of trash." I said and pushed her away but she came right back like a yo-yo.

"Hey I'm just trying to nice." She reasoned with me.

"As if ya were ever that." I snapped back but then I knew something was wrong. I don't know. It was just the look on her face. She had loosened up a bit and was staring right in my eyes.

"Fine." She went back to Sherri Valance and shook her head, walking backwards. "I was just gonna tell ya that Dallas Winston is in the cooler."

I stopped, my arms shaking.

"I mean, it's nothing special, I bet ya he knows all the guards by name." She walked away after that and left me to wait for the bell.

I just stood there in shock but then I started walking. He's always there. It's fine. He's fine. He's tough enough to take on all those people there. It's fine. But when I tried to calm myself down it made me more angry. "Oh my god, he's literally an idiot." I shouted and gained some weird looks from some students, older and younger than me.

I walked into History. One of the lessons I shared with no one in my friend group. No Pony, no Johnny and no Two-bit, so I was on my own. The teacher was an old lady with grey hair that went down to her shoulders. She had no classroom control, so the noise the class was making was intruding my thoughts. I just looked at the teacher trying to shut students, double her height, up. Have fun, I mouthed, staring into space.

It was a frustrating long day and by the end of it, I was hanging my head down in exhaustion but I wasn't going to give up just then.

"Ya need to ride, sweetie?" A Greaser said and grabbed my hand. I got mad real fast and snatched it back, walking on.

I closed my eyes and sighed. "There's no point in getting mad over something that happens all the time." I muttered to myself but the disappointed ball in my stomach just dropped further down.