Chapter 8

Clove's POV:

The next morning, I woke up to the sound of birds chirping and the sunlight on my face. It was the absolute worst way to wake me up. I opened my eyes slightly, and looked at my clock. It was 5:00 am. Since I didn't have early training again this morning, I rolled over, so that I wasn't facing the window and pulled the covers over my eyes. I quickly fell asleep after that.

When I opened my eyes, I was engulfed in darkness. I looked around, but nothing could be seen. In the corner of my eye, I could see something or someone laying on the floor. I slowly made my way over to the body and realised that it was Cato. My favourite knife was sticking out of his chest and he appeared to be laying in a pool of blood. His blood. I slowly bent over and tried to wake him up.

"Cato." I said as I shook him. "Cato." I said loudly. "Cato!" I yelled. Tears formed in my eyes as I looked at the dead body in front of me. He can't be dead. Why am I thinking this? I asked my self as a tear rolled down my cheek.

"Clove?" A deep voice said from behind me. I spun around and Cato stood in front of me.

"Cato!" I exclaimed happily as I got up and rushed towards him. I felt his strong arms wrap around me as I snuggled into his chest. "I thought you were dead." I mumbled.

"I'm here, aren't I?" He said as he smiled at me.

I woke suddenly and felt some sweat on my forehead. Did I just dream of Cato? Did I just dream that I cared for Cato? This can't be possible. I don't have any feelings for him and I never will. Something in the back of my mind was telling me to stop lying to myself, but I chose to ignore it. Liking Cato will only make things worse when we get to the games. I looked at the clock and saw that it was 7:00 am. I slowly got out of bed and walked to the bathroom. I quickly did my morning routine and slipped on a maroon shirt, some black jeans and some black Nike shoes. I have no idea what Nike is, but it's comfortable and for some reason it's quite popular in District 2.

I went downstairs and saw that mum had already left for work, so I took an apple and headed out of the house with my bag. As I walked down my street, I kept thinking about my dream. Is it supposed to mean something? And if it does, then what?

"Clove!" Someone called from behind. When I turned around, I saw Rowena running towards me.

"Hi Row." I said as she reached me.

"Do you have your dress for the Reaping yet?" She asked.

"I totally forgot about that." I groaned.

"You better hurry, the Reaping is in 2 days." She said.

"Anyways," She said as she clapped her hands together.

"You and Cato." She teased.

"Seriously." I said as I raised an eyebrow at her.

"I saw the picture out you guys hugging and I saw you sitting together in the diner." She teased.

"You were there?" I asked, slightly confused.

"Yep, and I know that that was the second time you guys have gone out together in a row." She said with a smirk.

"It was nothing." I said as we got to school.

"Hey Clover." A familiar voice said from the left of me. I instantly felt an arm around my shoulder and knew that it was Cato.

"What do you want?" I said with a sigh.

"Why don't you introduce me to your friend?" He said as he nodded to Rowena.