Chapter Six

Victoria takes Gunnar to one of her favorite places on the beach. It's a local-only spot and usually, there is no one there. They walk hand in hand to find a spot on the beach to sit. She lays between his legs with her back to him and he has his arms wrapped around her. It's the first time in years that Victoria has felt this safe.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Gunnar asks.

"I just can't believe you are here right now," She quietly says.

"Are you happy?" Gunnar whispers.

"Extremely!," She whispers back. "Best surprise ever!"

"Good, this place is amazing," Gunnar says resting his chin on the top of her head.

"Yeah, my brother saw it on a postcard when he was getting chemo. Added this to the bucket list,"

"How much do you have left on the list?" He asks.

"Well, there are a few left. The first year after he passed I did nothing but knock stuff off his list. Kept a journal of it all with pictures. One of the unchecked ones was to write a book so I figured the journal would be it. I journal every day for him and for me," She admits.

"Can I read it sometime?"

"Yeah, of course. It is at my house. Even if I have to publish one copy it will be checked off the list." Victoria says.

"So, what's left?" He asks again. He is aching to know what else is left that might take her farther away from him.

"The things I can't accomplish on my own, unfortunately," She says. "Marriage, kids, buy a house, and all of that stuff. I mean I bought and rebuilt my little house, you will see it's pretty cool," She starts. "But all of this started when Oscar got sick. It was my therapy and then when he passed away it became the home that I can take anywhere."

"It is literally a tiny house?!" Gunnar says shocked. Laughing at the fact she's spoken about it often, he just thought it was an actual house.

"Yeah, it's quite nice. I pay a campground fee for hookups but I save a ton of money on rent since I own it outright. When I pick up to move, no boxes need just hook up to the truck and take off."

"I like that idea," Gunnar admits, "Ever get lonely?"

"Not until recently," Victoria admits looking up at Gunnar. He leans down and gently kisses her lips. This moment is pure heaven and something Victoria never thought she'd have. "But one day I'll own a house, just like Oscar wanted. He loved your house. The big farm with so much space. The apartment was always crowded."

"I get that, I love the farmhouse too. We ran the woods and you had this freedom you can't have in the city," Gunnar says.

Victoria sighs heavy, "Yeah,"

"What is it?"

"Do you hate me for ending things?" She asks.

"No, I was devastated yes to that, I wish you had told me everything. I understand now why you didn't tell me what happened. I am more sorry that I was so consumed with me and my life that I never realized the load you were carrying. Mom always said, "Just because I carry it well does not mean it's not heavy"," Gunnar says.

"True statement. I love your mom,"

"You were always her favorite person we brought home. She always made sure we took care of you. I did a piss poor job of that," Gunnar says.

Victoria turns and looks at Gunnar. "Don't you dare say that! You all were my breath of fresh air in a life where people were wanting to break me down. Every library trip or hanging out at the gym with Hudson and Everett. Family game nights, you guys were my escape. I loved you all so much,"