XXX | Phone Call

Hello! We have an unexpected surprise here, don't we? Angel's POV is ready to roll, so enjoy...

ANGEL

JOHN IS LAUGHING. MY PARENTS ARE DEAD. There's blood-blood everywhere, on my hands, on my face, and I see in my childhood bed, sleeping, her short blonde hair swirling around her.

I wake up, gasping. I never sleep, but when I do, it is dreams like this that make me never want to close my eyes again.

Cade-where is Cade? In her room, I remember. We spent hours there kissing and talking until she fell asleep, and I came back here to my room. Why did I leave her?

The memory jolts back. Shit. I needed to call John again. The Reaper.

With shaking hands, I dial his number. Of course, it won't be him who answers-no service miles underground-but it'll be one of his cronies.

"Hello?" comes a deep, gravelly voice.

I freeze.

That's not one of his cronies.

"Angel . . ."

This can only mean one thing. If he is talking to me now.

"Jonathan," I whisper.

He is free. He is escaped. He is on the loose.

This is bad. This is very bad.

The Grim Reaper was a powerful man behind bars, but free-he has the status of a god. He will be worshipped like one. Unstoppable. Men like John don't die. They never die.

And I remember the deal I made with him thirteen days ago.

I promised to deliver him Cadenza Conti.

Cazzo. Cazzo. Cazzo.

"Angel . . . are you going to uphold your end of the bargain?" says that rough, throaty voice.

I have no choice. "Yes," I say. The threat lingers. Or he will kill every last Falcone. He will kill my family line, my heritage.

But Cade is more important.

My fist strikes the wall. When did she become so important? I shouldn't have let this happen. I should have never let my feelings get ahold of me. I always knew I'd have to give her up, that I'd have to be the cold and heartless bitch she once called me, so why did I let myself start falling for her?

Estronza. The Reaper laughs, as if he knows what I'm thinking. He is too smart of a man, he knows I've come to the conclusion that he's free. "Tomorrow at midnight, bring her to the Corkscrew bar for me. Meet me in the basement. Don't be late."

The phone clicks off.

In order to protect Dominic and Maria and all my other Mafia family, I must sacrifice Cadenza. It was the deal-protection for the girl.

What will the Reaper do with her?

I've heard the stories . . .

Skin her alive, whip her bloody, tie her up in the dark and leave her there, stark raving mad for days.

Do I have it in me to betray her? To leave her to that fate?

I fist my hands in my hair, trying not to scream. It's almost two in the morning. I can't give Cade up. I can't let the Reaper have her. I picture her cornflower-blue eyes, that tangle of short blonde hair, her smile-the dimple in her right cheek.

How can I betray her?

The answer is simple, but I can't face it. With a clatter, I drop the phone and bolt to my feet. I know what I have to do. It won't be easy. In fact, it will be one of the hardest things I've ever done, but it will be worth it.

Trust me, Cade, I think. Please, just trust me.

>>>

So you may have forgotten about that little deal Angel struck with the Reaper in one of the early chapters. But it's been almost fourteen days, and it's time for Angel to deliver.

You're probably wondering why exactly it is that the Reaper wants her. No fear-I'll soon deliver the answer to you.

It might get a little fast-paced, so hold on tight!

From the moon and back,
Sarai