XXXIII | Remember Me

Hi guys! We have finally reached the present! Congratulations, we're out of the past and back to what's happening right now.

MY FIRST MEMORY IS OF A CLOUDLESS blue sky and a silver gun, hot in my hand.

Sometimes I wake up tasting the acrid grey of smoke. I hear music fade into the sound of screaming. I feel the press of metal against my palm, burning.

I know the memory can't be real. My mother and I have always lived in Los Angeles, where cobwebs of thick smog cover the colour of the sky. I've never touched a gun before, let alone fired one.

But it's hard to believe that―especially now, as I hold Angel's Beretta.

Pointing it. Aiming it.

The man in front of me freezes.

It can only be muscle memory. I feel the cold steel of the trigger, throbbing beneath my fingertip. Begging to be pulled.

My breathing turns uneven. I close my eyes.

Bang.

Music―cheerful, thrumming music. The kind you hear at weddings, at parties. The kind that inspires dancing. Music snapping into silence, and then―

Bang.

Screaming.

I remember this.

My eyes open, and the memory of blood and song disappears.

"How could you." I don't recognize my voice. Utter cold, utter ice.

Dante raises his hands, trembling. "I had to. Please, Cade. I needed the money."

Behind me, I hear Angel tense.

From the corner of my eye, the painting shifts. Someone else is pulling out a gun―either Vittoria or Dominic. We're running out of time.

"Don't do this," Dante pleads. "I know you, Cade. I know you won't shoot. You won't hurt me, I know you won't."

If I don't, he'll tell the Genovese family how to find Angel.

They'll come back for her. They'll tear her apart, skin her alive. They've been waiting for the chance, and this it.

Everything she has, everything she is―they'll take it from her.

I can't let that happen.

Choose now, Cade.

The police will have us surrounded in minutes. The museum alarm is still blaring. If we're going to escape, it happens now.

"You don't know me," I hiss.

His eyes widen, and I pull the trigger.

Bang.

>>>

Definitely a bit of a refresher. Do you think Angel actually shot? Let me know in the comments down below!

From the moon and back,
Sarai