XXXIV | One Bullet

IN THAT SECOND, THERE IS AN INFINITY.

The moment slows, stops.

And I know.

I just shot a man.

And I did it for Angel.

I love her.

The bullet whizzes through the air, and I know Angel is surprised. She has to be; this is her gun I am holding. I never told her I took it, but she must know now.

In this moment, I am limitless. I am free.

There are still questions swirling in my mind. Questions begging to be answered.

Who was my father?

Who were the men that shot him?

Where did Angel go?

And will I be a different person after this?

Am I already a different person?

But none of them matter. No, none of them matter as I fire the gun and the bullet soars.

Dante jumps to the side, diving towards the floor.

My bullet misses.

And then I see another gun, firing.

It's not Vittoria's. It's not Dominic's. It's not Maria's.

This second bullet is Angel's, and unlike mine, she doesn't miss. Dante doesn't escape this one.

It strikes his heart, and he falls to his knees.

Yeah, this will cause a scene.

Angel's hand is shaking as Dante falls, and without thinking, without hesitating, I am in her arms. I am kissing her. The museum alarm is blaring all around us, and police sirens are outside.

Maybe this was always how it had to be.

Maybe this is how it all ends. The police burst in, tell us to throw our hands up. The marble floors are chill beneath my knees as I sink to the floor. Is this it? Is this my future? Prison, handcuffs, trapped in a foreign country?

As long as I have Angel, it doesn't answer.

So I keep this moment, forever crystallized in my heart.

I kiss her, and it all falls away. Whatever comes after this, it doesn't matter.