Extraction: Part 2

Red/Loki

Dust was everywhere, the room was dark, but the light emitting from the hallway allowed me to see the shadows on the other side.

My adrenaline spiked to the point that everything seemed like a blur. My vision, my hearing, all distorted from my pounding heart. I tried my best to focus on my deep breathing, all while steadying my finger over the detonator.

Dust filled the air from the collapsed door, making it near impossible to see.

I held my breath for a moment as I heard a commotion through the doorway.

I was waiting for the footsteps to enter, then that would be my cue to detonate the bomb, but the commotion soon turned to silence.

I gave it a few more seconds to hear them enter.

5.

4.

3.

2.

1.

Again, there was nothing. I was gripping onto the detonator so tight that my hand started to tremble.

"What are you waiting for assholes?" I shouted.

That's when I heard a body fall to the floor.

Something wasn't right.

I got to my feet, with my hand still hovering the trigger. I sniffed the air but was only met with dust particles.

I stayed silent to listen to any other movements.

"Who's there?" I stepped forward and peeked through the empty doorway. I could see part of the poorly lit hallway, but nothing else, there was still too much dust to see clearly.

That's when I heard hard footsteps approaching. My finger once again hovered the trigger, but why should I blow myself up when there was only one warrior? I could easily take him out myself. I removed my finger off the trigger in the meantime, but still kept the detonator in my hand.

There was a shadow at the doorway. It was a large man by the looks of it, breathing heavily.

"Who the fuck are you?" I asked.

"Who do you think?" He approached through the cloud of dust, and my eyes widened at the realization of who it was.

"What the hell are you doing here Eric?!" I stomped forward and dropped the detonator to the ground.

"A thank you would be sufficient, but I guess we still hate each other," he smirked.

"No seriously, why in the hell are you down here?" I pushed him back, "Get out of here, I have to protect this place, more will be coming." I looked behind Eric at the pile of bodies he left behind, then back to him with widened eyes.

I couldn't believe it. Was I dead already?

"No, I'm protecting this place, and you..." He forcefully placed a small handheld device in my hand, "are taking this and going back to help them retrieve Diana. I did my part, you just need to protect this, it controls the entire building."

"No, no, no." I looked down at the black device, the screen was on and there was a map of the entire building with a list of various security protocols, door codes, etc.

I was beginning to question if this place was a hospital or a god damn prison.

"You like it? Holden had them install the security system before they took Diana here."

"Take it back!" I pushed the device back into his chest, but he immediately stepped back.

"No, it's all yours now," Eric reached for the detonator that I dropped to the floor. "Nice handy work." He analyzed the detonator in his hand and smiled, "I could have helped you with this."