eight

lowkey S T E A M Y  👁️👄👁️ ~

I saw Rafe standing in front of a medic who was trying her best to help him. He put his hand in front of her face and told her he was fine. The medic knew better than to argue with him and left him alone. Rafe turned away from her, his nose flared. 

My legs moved to him, but my mind was screaming to move the other way. His blue eyes landed on me and he paused. I ran to him and curved my hands around his neck. I didn't care who was watching. I just held onto him, soaking my tears in his shirt. His hands hesitantly patted my back and held the back of my neck, pulling me closer. He let out a breath and I felt his shoulders relax as he held me. His face was in my shoulder as he whispered in my ear gently, "You'll be okay." 

I sobbed into his shirt and spluttered, "I'm sorry." 

Rafe let me hold him as I cried for Sarah. I had lost one of my oldest and best friends. We had so many memories together that I hoped I would never forget. I cried for Wheezie, who had lost her sister. I even cried for Rafe, who was broken and lost. I pulled away and looked at him. The rain was showering on us again. 

"Deja vu," he said and tilted his head up to the rain, making water mix with the blood on his mouth, red water running down his neck. He looked down at me and brought his hands up to my face and brushed the water off my cheeks, even though it was raining. 

We just stood there, watching as the rain washed my tears away and the blood on his face away. His blue eyes were soft and gentle. My heart skipped a beat when he said, "I want you to stay." He stared at me, waiting patiently. I leaned closer when Rafe mumbled, "What are you doing?"

"Finishing what you started." 

I pressed my lips lightly on his, surprising him. His hands went through my wet hair as he pushed me to him. The soft peck of lips quickly grew into a heated kiss that was hot and breathy. His mouth was looking for something as we shared a breath, a sensation, a timeless moment. I felt his warmth around me as he pulled me to him. He pushed his mouth on mine and I pushed back, holding his neck. He tasted like blood, but it didn't matter -- the rain washed it all away. His sounds were drowned in the rain, so only I could hear him. My heart was fluttering in my chest when he trailed his hands to my neck, trailing on the places he hurt. "No, I'm the one who's sorry," he mumbled against my lips, letting the rain fall between them. 

I sighed, "Rafe--" but he didn't let me speak and I didn't complain. 

The rain poured mercilessly around us as I heard people calling us to leave before the storm worsened. Rafe brought up his hand and pointed his middle finger to them. I smiled on his mouth and didn't let go. And neither did he. 

* * * * *

The storm had disappeared the next day, leaving trees on the ground. I woke up from my troubled sleep and shrugged on a jacket. When I twisted my doorknob, it opened smoothly.

I rubbed my red eyes and I took a deep breath before I went out. I ran down the stairs and went toward the balcony. I knew there was going to be cool, fresh air after that storm. I saw someone standing in the balcony through the glass doors. I saw Rafe there, leaning on the stone rail, smoking a roll. I heard Kie's vague voice scream, "Murderer!" 

I opened the doors and went to Rafe. He didn't turn back and only brought the roll to his mouth again. I leaned next to him, watching as Pope dragged Kie away from the vandalised wall. 

I was in a bad situation. Rafe was the real killer, but John B was framed. Now that John B is dead, you would expect the case to close, but I knew Shoupe was still looking for them. I had heard Ward talking on the phone asking Shoupe to call it off, but he only disagreed. The problem was, even if John B was alive, the real murderer was here, right next to me. And I wasn't the only one who knew Rafe was the one who killed Peterkin.