twenty

I sat in the truck with Rafe right out the door, always checking me from the corner of his eye. Renfield had wanted to tie my hands together but Rafe had denied. "Get it in the fucking truck already!" he yelled and waved his hand to Renfield, who I knew was struggling with the cross. 

I sat between the passenger and driver's seat, my calves against the seat uncomfortably. The sun was coming down when Rafe opened the door and grabbed the seat, pulling himself up next to me. He let out a deep breath and slammed his door shut. Our shoulders were touching and my knee touched his leg. Even this tiny contact made me shiver. His hand was on his knee, displaying all his golden rings. 

Someone started knocking on the window from my right, breaking my gaze from Rafe. Renfield was behind the window pointing at the door, his muffled voice said, "The door's broken -- it only opens from the inside."

Rafe rolled his eyes, "For shit's sake." He bent himself over my lap and reached for the door. His shoulders flexed in front of me as he tugged at the handle. When he pulled away, I swore he moved in slow motion, making my heart flip when his soft hair brushed my hand as he sat back on his seat. 

Renfield jumped up and into the seat next to me, bringing the stinking smell of sweat with him. I subconsciously moved to Rafe, trying not to gag, even though being sandwiched between two grown men did not give me much room. Rafe turned the key in the ignition and we were off, taking an ancient artefact with us. So that was what Ward was going to ship along with the gold. Maybe he was helping his family at first, but stealing a lost relic that deserved to be in a museum? Now it was just cruel. 

I would've straight up asked Rafe if he knew his father was alive, but Renfield was just as hungry for money...and awfully smelly. I edged away from him as much as I could, but it only pushed me closer to Rafe, who I wasn't sure I wanted to be this close to after he very obviously had wanted me gone.

The road ahead of us was dark with only the headlights cutting a stream of light through the night as I drowned in my thoughts. Was Pope okay? What was he going to say when I tell him that I let Renfield and Rafe get their hands on the cross? Will I even ever get to see Pope, Sarah, JJ, Kie and John B again? What was Rafe going to do to me? Where was I going to escape? If I ever escape but wait... what if he kills me? Or will he bring me back to Dad? What will Dad do to me? 

I was blinded by my thoughts that I hadn't noticed my knee bouncing rapidly. I felt Rafe's eyes on my knee before he gently placed his hand on it, sending heat through my body, while his other hand was on the wheel. I didn't know if it was shock or fear that I stopped bouncing it. His hand curved perfectly over my knee as his thumb brushed it lightly. And when he made a turn, I was pressed against his heated body, but the problem was...I didn't push away...but neither did he. His hand slid across the leather of the wheel as it turned. My shoulder dug below his as my hip grazed his leg until the turn was over and we were on the motorway. Rafe sniffled and removed his hand on my leg, bringing it back to the wheel. 

The drive was silent until I saw people on the side of the road, and a car that had crashed into a tree. There were two people on the side of the road, their faces clear with the light flashing on them. The second I recognised them, I shouted and slammed my palms on the glass in front of me, trying to get their attention, "THEY HAVE IT!" Rafe slapped his hand on my mouth and pulled me back, but Pope had already seen me. He stared at us as we drove away, mouth gaping. I didn't know what he was going to do, but I hoped he would...I didn't even know. Was there anything he could do? They could come after us, but what were they going to do?

* * * * *

Rafe had driven us to a warehouse. His hand was on the console as he shifted gears, the truck now moving backwards, its motion sensors beeping. He parked the truck and pulled on his handle, going out. Renfield was already down the truck as I wiggled my way to Rafe's open door. He waited for me to jump down before he slammed the door shut.