twenty-five

Rafe pressed himself to me and I could feel every inch of his front against my own as his forehead pushed to mine. I could almost feel his heart pounding against my chest as his warmth wrapped around me like a blanket. His hand shook as it traced down my arm, curving into my elbow and going down my side. His rings were ice-cold and sparked my skin.

"All of this..." he whispered against my lips, "just for me..."

"Yes," I answered breathlessly. 

I felt him smile on my mouth.

I ran my hands slowly up his chest, feeling the tense muscles under my fingertips. I traced his skin like he was the only thing I could hold onto. His back was sculpted and I could feel every fold on his shoulders. Our lips never left as he sighed into my mouth while I curled my fingers into his hair. My heart was fluttering like a bird trapped in a cage when he lowered himself closer to me, our chests forced together. 

I gasped and broke away, turning my head up, my lungs struggling. The air was heated and hot as Rafe leaned on his elbow and looked down toward our tangled legs. His soft hair brushed across my neck and chin as he turned back to me, a new fire growing in his eyes. His blue eyes stared at my own before they trailed down to my mouth. 

Something clicked in Rafe as he moved away and stood up. Sweat was beading above his lip as he bent down to take his shirt. "Holy f..." I breathed and leaned up on my elbows. Rafe was still in his jeans, but his chest was bare and glowing.

He didn't look at me and was fastening his shirt with fumbling fingers. Why did he suddenly move away? "What's wrong?" I asked instead.

After a beat, his eyes locked with mine. A sheer of darkness hung over them, turning them into dark diamonds. His mouth was in a hard line and his cheeks were flushed as he forgot about his shirt and came to me. With his quick movements, I barely had time to sit up. 

Rafe held my chin gently. "Listen," he said, "they're here and I gotta find them." I knew who he was talking about...but couldn't he just tell Ward? 

Rafe's eyebrows furrowed together as he licked his lips. I noticed he hadn't closed his top button, showing how the hollows of his throat glistened with sweat. "I can't let them ruin this after everything I went through, okay?" Before I could speak, he drowned my voice with his mouth. A simple kiss, but it felt like something more. 

He let go of me and backed away. He strode to the door in four quick steps and opened it. Rafe turned his face but didn't look at me. He said in a low voice, "Stay here."

* * * * *

Rafe* 

I rubbed my eyes with my fingers to try and focus. I didn't want to leave her, but it was the only thing I could do. 

I only wished I had left her a long time ago.

I couldn't lie and say that I didn't care about her because I did. I wanted her. But that was why she was always in danger. And what if I can't protect her? What if something happens to her? What would I do then?

I had made my way to the room Dad had told me about and stood in front of it, staring at the golden knob. Five minutes ago, I was relaxed, but now, I felt like every nerve in my body was going to jump out from my skin. And my mind was filling with thoughts that I needed to control or else they would get the better of me. 

My hand twisted the knob with a mind of its own and I was suddenly in the room, my eyes stuck on Sarah. She sat on a chair, with her hands supporting her head as Dad explained everything to her. I knew she didn't believe him but did he know?