ten

I was talking and laughing with Wheezie when I heard Kelce and Topper's voices downstairs. Wheezie was holding her stomach as I told her the time when Sarah put baby powder in Rose's hairdryer. We were eleven and it was hilarious seeing Rose come out of her bathroom looking like a ghost. I wiped my tears. For the first time in a while, I cried happy tears. "Do you want some water?" I asked Wheezie. She nodded and grabbed a tissue. 

I stood up and went out of her room. I skipped a step and nearly met my head on the floor, but someone caught my elbow. Rafe let go of me and walked down the stairs. His hair swayed on his forehead as he put his hands in his pockets. He walked barefoot on the cold floor and went into the room where Kelce and Topper were. I was standing on one of the steps, staring at him. 

I quickly ran to the kitchen and grabbed two glass cups and went to the sink. I saw Topper walk toward me and turned to the fridge. He pulled out a can of White Claw and whispered to me, "Are you okay?"

I was stunned by his question. "What do you mean?" I've known Topper as long as I've known Sarah. He was always trailing with her, trying to get her attention and they dated on and off before she broke up with him at Midsummers. Then she went to John B. Even though I've only seen them together a few times, I saw the ways John B looked at her. 

I swallowed down my water. Topper clicked the can open. "The bet." He raised his eyebrow at me when I looked at him confusedly. His eyes widened as he stuttered, "I-- I'm sorry. I thought you knew!" 

When Topper tried walking away, I grabbed his arm. "What are you talking about?" I hissed at him. I clanged the glass on the kitchen island. Topper swallowed down his words. "What the hell are you talking about, Topper? What bet?"

I heard Kelce's laughs and I heard Rafe speaking to him. Topper whispered, "Kelce made a bet with Rafe that he wouldn't..." Topper looked down. He didn't say it but I knew it all along. 

So, it wasn't a lie -- it was a bet. A stupid fucking bet. Everything he said, he did, was all part of a bet. There was no meaning, no feeling, nothing. And I thought that maybe Rafe would be better, maybe he would care. Why did I have hope for something that was never there? Why did I have to be the one who cared? Why?

I let Topper go and grabbed the other cup of water. I don't have time for this shit. Rafe locked me in a room, nearly killed me twice, put a gun to my head, and hurt me. And I fucking let him. So it was all for a bet, huh? Well, now I know your game, Rafe and I'm ending it. 

I walked into the room where Kelce was sitting on a couch and Rafe was lining up powder with a card. When he looked up at me, he quickly put a piece of paper on his work. I felt myself explode, "So it was all a bet?!" Kelce put his fingers over his mouth to cover his smile. I went to him and slapped him. Kelce held his cheek and groaned. Rafe watched me with wide eyes as I went to him and struck him hard. Rafe's sweat flew as his head went to the side. "You fucking asshole!" There were no tears, only rage. "And I thought you meant it." I chuckled as Rafe turned his head to me, his blue eyes sparkling. "How could I be so stupid?" His cheek was turning pink where my palm had hit. 

"Y/n," he snapped and reached for me.

"Oh, no," I smiled at him and backed away. I hurled the cup to his face. I hoped the glass would shatter and hurt him because that's what he had done to me. Instead, it only hit him in the bridge of his nose and drenched his face. The glass and the water didn't seem to affect him, which only made me madder. He opened his mouth to talk, but I interrupted him, "You don't get to speak -- you liar!" I stormed away as I remembered the way he told me in the rain: I want you to stay. 

I was going to do the exact opposite. 

* * * * *

"Holy shit. What are you doing here?"