Chapter 38

Hailey pov

"Its been a while since I've seen you now," Harry said as he walked through the doors of my office cabin.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, not looking up from my papers.

"Why, am I not allowed to see you? God knows you've forgotten about your dear old friend," he said as he plopped down on the sofa.

"Nothing like that, just been busy lately," I told him putting asides my papers and joining him on the sofa.

"COO duties really be calling. I have no idea how you manage it all." he sighed.

"Its a talent," I teased. "Can't expect you to understand that." He scowled. "But besides, I get this really cool office!"

"The office seems nice enough. Good view, spacious, comfy and nice. No wonder you haven't come down to the firm in days now." he said looking around.

"Its the work in the office that has been so hectic," I informed. "Besides, Claire has been managing it at the firm and all cases are being handled well. If anything important comes up, she'll seek me out. But I'm not worried, she's quiet efficient."

"Hmm, you got quiet lucky with that associate of yours. How is that project with hubby going on?" he asked.

"So far, so good. Though I've had to look after it all by myself lately, Nathan's been sick the last few days," I told him.

"Oh? And you've been playing the good wife and taking care of his work?'

"Only on our joint project. Why do you have to be so bitter about our relationship? I know its not ideal but every time it comes up, you don't have to go killer mode."

"Well whatever," he shrugged. "I came here to talk to you about something important. I have something to tell you."

"Please don't tell me you've knocked someone up," I teased him in mock surprise.

"Fortunately for me, I'm more responsible about my life than you are about yours. I know how to wrap it up and clean up after me. No, its your mess I want to talk about."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, I have good news for you," he said and then giving a dramatic pause and a drumroll on the table, he continued, "I found a way for you to get out of this marriage!"

I looked at him in bewilderment and shock. "You did what?! How? I mean please, if its any crazy idea I don't want to hear." I said after deciding that this was too good to be true.

"Relax, its nothing crazy, but perfectly sane and reasonable," he said holding both my shoulders stopping my rambling. "So I went over the marriage contract again and again, trying to see for some way out, a loophole of sorts, anything to get you out of this. And after many tries and almost beating myself half to death, it clicked. The words on the contract clearly state, "the couple can't divorce" so you can't file for a divorce in court, but... it doesn't state anywhere that you can't dissolve the marriage through other means. Which means even if you can't get a divorce, you can get an annulment."

"Annulment? Huh?" I said surprised. "How come I never saw that before? You caught that but I didn't?"

"Its quiet alright honey. I'm the best in New York and London for a reason. There is no shame losing to the best."

I rolled my eyes at him. "Always so cocky!"

"As long as you both testify of not having any sexual links and that you both want a mutual end to this marriage, you should be able to get it over with smoothly and without complications." he went on. "So then I'll prepare the papers. We can finish this as soon as possible. By the end of the week, you'll be single again, I promise."