Chapter 39 The Truth Untold

Before entering Adrian's Study, I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and gulped.

I don't care what the consequences will be. All I know is that I'm in love with him and this is the truth.

I entered his study while clutching the knob of the door so hard.

"A... Adrian," I murmured, and finally saw him.

He was sitting on the large chair beside his table, looking absently at some papers in his hand.

I went closer towards him. "Adrian," I said, and he quickly snapped his head in my direction.

"Emberly," he stands and turns to face me.

"What happened is that everything is fine?" I asked, fidgeting my fingers.

He nodded, looking around. I don't know, but I felt that he was avoiding eye contact with me.

"Nothing, Em, do you need anything?" he inquired softly.

"A... I want to tell you something," I said while biting my lip.

"Sure, go ahead,"

"I... I love you," finally, I confessed. An unknown fear settled in my heart after saying this. I felt so cold around my chest.

"What?" he asked with widened eyes.

"N...... nothing," I gulped and ran away from his study. I don't think so. I'm able to face him again after this. He will hate me more now.

I came out of the mansion and ran around the deserted road. My limbs felt so light, like they didn't belong to me. I felt so shallow. My eyes burned and felt very sore. As tears were falling, I felt wetness around my head. I looked up at the sky. It had started raining, not heavily but lightly.

I noticed an old-looking bench on the side of this deserted road.

Why does this stupid heart of mine listen to Asher's words and go to say "I love you" to Adrian? He must be laughing at me for thinking he can ever love me back.

For God's sake, he's Adrian Campbell. He can get any girl he wants.

Then why will he even think of someone like me? I still remember how beautiful his ex was. I was just mesmerized by her beauty when I first saw her, and here I'm nothing but a nerd.

Why the hell did I spoil my relationship with him, didn't he start talking nicely to me, didn't he start caring about me, why the hell my this stupid heart has to beat faster just by his name

I shook my head and covered my face with my palms.

Why can't he love me back?

After what seemed like forever, I stood.

but before that, I can walk more. A familiar

My Mercedes-Benz stops in front of me.

I tilted my head back looking at that car. Why does this car seem so familiar, like I saw it before? Wait, is this the same car on which I splashed the whole contents of public Dustin when I got a job at a café? Because of this car, I fell on the road.

My thoughts were interrupted when I saw Adrian coming out of that car.

His face was colder than usual.

"So, like this, you should propose to someone, and then just run away as if nothing happened," he said.

I gulped and looked around. We're alone here in this deserted area, with rain pouring over us.

I'm so sorry; I know I'm just expecting more. I came to a halt when his arm wrapped around my waist.

Before I could withdraw my mind from its far places, his arms were around me, as sure and hard as on the dark road to him, so long ago. I felt again the rush of helplessness, the sinking-yielding, the surging tide of warmth that left my limp. And the quiet face of Adrian was blurred and drowned into nothingness. He bent my head across his arm and kissed me, softly at first and then with a swift gradation of intensity that made me cling to him as the only solid thing in a dizzy swaying world. His insistent mouth was parting my shaking lips, sending wild tremors along my nerves, evoking sensations I had never known I was capable of feeling. And before a swimming giddiness spun me round and round, I knew that I was kissing him back.