34 Evie

I felt his heart break. The snake had come out, feeling the magic move in the air as something fundamental changed in Luca.

Vi'Ja was inappropriate. I ignored my new familiar to focus on Luca. The man who had managed to make me fall in love.“You’re more than I ever thought I would have. No one ever fought for me. No one came looking for me any time I ran away. You’re all I need.” I whole heartedly believed that we would be ok. 

We were interrupted by a knock at the door. We turned our heads, neither ready to see guests. Not in the head space we were in together. Right now I was more able to try and see who was at the door. I kissed Luca’s face before I went to the door, wrapped in only the sheet still.

Peering my eyes just around the barely open door. Ready to dismiss whoever it was right now. To be surprised by Jody appearing at the door. Holding a small plastic storage bin in their arms, and a single duffle bag over their shoulder. “Hey E, I brought your stuff.” Jody said, before turning a deep shade of red. I could feel something was off. They were holding some thing back right now.

Before I could ask what was wrong, Jody started talking. Words running together in a rush. “I want to move my family here, to this pack. Can you help me?” They seemed scared.  

“Why are you scared?” I didn't understand. I didn’t know enough yet. One night of Vi’Ja telling me wonderful bedtime stories to calm my mind wasn’t enough. Not to understand what was scaring my friend. 

“Everyone heard what Sarah did to you, then everything else she ever did. What her father has been doing. The Treaty enforcers are coming after the entire pride, her entire family. Arresting everyone they find.” Immediately I knew why they were scared. There was no way I would let the fall out from what happened to me hurt anyone else if I could help it. 

“You can stay here and no one will hurt you. I’ll make sure of it.” I saw Luca look at me. I had no right to promise any of that. I would make it right. Jody was kind, good to the center of their soul. Be and let be as long as no harm is done was their motto and I had always admired it. I wasn’t going to trust any authority to treat a non binary person, or their family with respect or decency. Jody, Meg, and their baby boy deserved to be safe. Ash would help me, her and I could help Jody and their family.

Luca didn’t tell them I had no right no promise anything here. He had his own struggles right now. I wouldn't lie and pretend I knew how he felt. Our bond was letting me know quite clearly that I had no idea what it was like to lose family. I still ached knowing that it was Sarah who set all this in motion. 

That ache just didn't feel as sharp when I could feel Lucas's heart in mine. His devotion and conviction towards me soothed so many of the jagged edges I had carried for so long. I wanted to soothe him like he did for me. I was torn between wanting to find a way to help Jody, and wanting to go to my mate.

I was saved by a young looking dragon shifter coming up, introducing himself as Sydney, saying they would take Jody to see Raven and arrange a place for them.  I did my best to thank Jody for all they had done for me and Sydney for helping my friend. I was distracted and unsure about everything, except that Luca needed me. I had offered something I didn’t have any right to, I was just trying to do the right thing. Stay in one place, be kind, try and get to know people. Find community. For the first time I felt like I had a real path forward that was mine. Not just a stumbling exit with no landing or end in sight.

I tried to tell Jody how I felt but I couldn't find words that made sense to convey the guilt I felt at what was happening to them, Jody had always been perceptive, “None of this is your fault Evie, Just keep swimming kiddo.” Pulling the door closed behind them, while interrogating Sydney for details on the Leading Luna they had heard so much about.

One thing at a time. I could do one thing at a time. I had the sum of my life, all I ever cared about back with me thanks to Jody. The triplets had made sure Luca could find me. I had more friends already than I had thought. I wasn’t alone. I hadn’t been as alone as I thought I was for a long time. I wouldn’t ever be alone again, because Luca promised he was mine.

I had heard his goddess tell me it was true herself. I also had to admit that I had never in my life seen as many passionately devoted couples and families as I had in the short time I had spent here. 

I took a deep breath. I was all in this. The snake said here was the best place for me to be, that Luca was honest. This really was real. It was time to face all my fears. No more running. It was time to start building, start healing. My future started with making sure my Luca was going to be ok. 

He hadn’t moved much from where he had collapsed onto the floor. He was at least sitting up straight now, leaning against the wall. His feelings were numb, like they had overwhelmed his system. Luca’s eyes were open and facing forward, but he wasn’t seeing anything right now. 

"Luca?" I called his name softly. He didn't turn to look at me. Instead I felt his heart break even more as he looked away from me. I was used to managing my own broken heart and emotions. Feeling his pain hurt far more than my own ever did. Especially because I couldn't help but focus on how all his pain was because of me. 

He was the single best thing to ever come into my life, and all I had done ever since he first saw me was hurt him, cause him pain and drive a wedge between him and his pack. Separating him from a family he loved.

If I hadn't been so focused on Luca I would have missed his barely spoken words, "Please don't reject me." a wave of despair flowing from him to me so deep it could drown both of us. 

I sat down beside him. Nudging myself over until I was pressed firmly against him. His warm body radiating heat over my skin. He still wouldn't turn to look at me. "I'm yours, you're mine Luca. I'm not running away ever again." He didn't react, nothing changed through our bond. 

My own heart clenched, I was all in now, but what if being with me was too much for him? I took a deep breath in through my nose trying to stay steady. "I'm not what you wanted. I've brought nothing but trouble and pain." my voice starting to break. The collar wasn't here filling my head with darkness and lies this time. 

This was me, just trying to do the best I could. "Do you want me to reject you? I'll tell Elijah everything was, my fault, beg him to undo what he did, I can try and put your life back together…" my voice trailing off. All my dreams of having fat happy babies with Luca being ripped from my heart. I would give it all up, give him up if he thought he would be happier. 

"I have nothing, no pack, no family. I can't give you the life you dreamed of. You're Fae, powerful, beautiful, only one of your kind-" his voice hitched on a sob in his throat. "You should be with someone more important than a rogue wolf." I could feel his self loathing, his heartbreak all his pain. 

"All I want is you, Luca." I moved slowly, maneuvering my body so I was sat on his lap, wrapping my arms and legs around him. Pressing my chest firm against his like a marsupial. Shedding the sheet that had been all the clothes between the two of us. "We're not alone, we have each other." he finally moved, I felt his head tilt down, heard him scenting in my hair. Drawing me deep into his lungs. His arms finally moving to hold me as tightly as I held him. Finally the dam broke,taking my heart with ut as a flood of his emotions broke free. Tears falling down his cheeks. 

I tried to mimic Delia and Laurel, the calming soothing aura they always seemed to have at the ready. “Your goddess told me herself she paired us Luca, we’re all we need.” Finally I felt a shift in his heart. He was still hurt, Elijah had hurt him deeply. A part of me wanted to lean in to the dark thoughts, I had warned Elijah, he knew what had already happened to me. Luca and I had done everything we could. He had no right to hurt Luca like this. Not when Luca loved him like a brother.