midsummers: one

today was midsummers. the most dreaded day for me and sarah every year. she was supposed to go with topper but we both agreed after her and john b's kiss, she wouldn't go and i wouldn't either. i was upstairs in my bedroom about to head downstairs as i heard a knock on my window. i rolled my eyes. can he just knock at the door like a normal person? "how many times are you gonna come to my window?" i asked jj, as he climbed in. his face was low and he didn't look up. "yo, are you okay?" i grabbed his chin to make him look up and gasped.

jj's face was caved in. all the color from his face was drained. his lip was busted and split open. there was blood on the side of his cheek and on his lip. my stomach ached. "i'm-" he started.

i grabbed his hand and led him to my private bathroom and told him to sit on the counter. i grabbed the first aid kit from my medicine cabinet and grabbed a alcoholic pad. i stayed silent. pure shock took over me and i tended to his face. i felt his gaze on me as i focused trying to get everything cleaned up. "what happened?" i asked quietly and i wiped gently over his busted lip.

he sighed and shook his head. "don't bother." he mumbled. i nodded and continued cleaning. i dabbed his lip with some ointment, to make sure it didn't get infected and used water and soap to get the blood off his cheek. i was really worried. i never thought someone could hurt someone like this. i finished and put the first aid kit back where i got it from. jj hopped down from the counter and grabbed his backpack. "uh, thank you." he breathed out.

i looked at his with sad eyes and nodded. "yeah, um, no problem." i replied. he stood there for a minute, looking hesitant. "jj..."

"it was my dad, okay?" he interrupted. my eyes widened and my mouth dropped open a little bit. i stayed silent. he could tell i was shocked. "it's nothin', i promise." i stayed in my spot, not taking my eyes off him as i pressed my lips together.

i hesitated as he stepped closer to me. my breath hitched as he grabbed my cheek, stroking his thumb lightly on my face. he smiled lightly. "thanks again." he leaned down and kissed my cheek softly.

my lips parted slightly as he stepped back towards my window. "i'll go, see you soon, spence." he climbed out my window and jumped down.

i felt my eyes start to well up. how could someone do that to their child? and he kissed me on the cheek? at this moment, i knew i was blessed to have my dad who cared about me through everything, even if he was mad. i know that he would never do anything to hurt me.

ever.