Chapter 30

The male didn't say another word and walked to the place to open the gate. He didn't look at us while I rolled up the window and waited for him to let us through.

"So..?" Corbin asked and raised an eyebrow when Ernie was away from us.

"Nothing," I replied, my voice sharp and hard. "Don't even ask." I grabbed my steering wheel and set my jaw, knowing full well that he was going to ask and push, even though I didn't want him to.

Corbin scoffed and rolled his eyes while he scowled. "Come on, Kel," he said. "What else was the king implying?" he asked. "I know that it is something important or else he wouldn't have gotten this angry."

I scoffed and rolled my eyes before I put the truck into drive and started the long winding path to the palace doors.

"I could ask him," he said.

"And he would tell you to talk to me," I replied coldly while I dipped my head closer to my chest. "He knows that I don't like it, and not even a lot of people know."

"Who knows?" he asked.

"Only the king and his mate," I replied. "That is it." I set my jaw and clenched the steering wheel tighter while I looked at the road. My whole body was tense, and my heart ached for what they wanted to do, but I instantly shot it down.

I couldn't let my heart out like that again.

"So will you tell me when we are alone?" Corbin asked and pouted. He cocked his head and stared at me with side eyes, and I couldn't help but roll my eyes and scowl. "Please? Please? Please? Please? Pl-"

"If you don't stop, I will stab you with a knife," I said, interrupting him, and Corbin gasped and placed his hand over his mouth.

"Well, I never," he said. He twisted around and looked at Hailey, who was watching us amused. "Do you see what I have to deal with?" he asked with a small pout. "She is so mean to me, and I didn't even do anything to her."

Hailey giggled and clutched her wolf closer to her chest. She buried her head into it when I looked back at her as if she didn't want ro get caught by me.

"You were being annoying," I said and slammed my hand on the steering wheel, "more so than normal. My tolerance for your bull shit is at an all time low, so knock it off."

Corbin stopped and looked at me. Worry filled his eyes while he looked at me, and I had a feeling that he knew that I was exhausted. "I'm driving back to the pack house," he said, and I opened my mouth in protest.

He raised his hand to silence me, and I closed my mouth and pursed my lips into a thin line. "If you don't want to take a nap at the palace, then I will drive back so that you can sleep in the truck. We can even do halfies if you'd like."

I shook my head when he said that and grimaced, and he snickered. "Don't..." I said, my voice quivering a little, and he started to laugh. "Don't say that ever again."

"Why not?" he asked with another laugh. "We can do that if that makes you feel better. It means that we get to be on the road sooner, and you can go back to the pack."

I scoffed and rolled my eyes while I pursed my lips into a thin line.

I was about to say something to combat what he said when I saw a wolf on the side of the road, waiting for me.

The wolf lifted his head and looked at the truck before he stood and started to sprint towards the palace, gesturing for me to follow him using his tail.

I rolled my eyes and scowled, not sure why the king decided to send his second to collect me but following him anyway. "Think the king would be mad if I scared him?" I asked, changing the subject.