Chapter 43

The wolves that were in the building stopped talking as soon as we walked into the gas station.

"Shit," I muttered underneath my breath, and I grew tense while I made sure that I had what I needed in my pockets.

Corbin looked at me and rolled his eyes with a small smirk on his face. "Do you want to get some food while we are here?" he asked and raised an eyebrow in question. "We still have a long way to go back to the house, or are we going to stop somewhere else to get food?"

"We should just get some food here," I said while I pursed my lips in annoyance and wrinkled my nose. "I don't want to stop somewhere else since we are already here and because there is food here as well."

Corbin nodded. "I'm going to b-"

"Shut up," I said, interrupting him while I scowled and narrowed my eyes. "Not another word out of your mouth, Corbin. You are not going to pay for what I want to get."

Corbin grinned, and a look of something flashed through his eyes. He didn't say a word, and I rolled my eyes and scowled because I knew that he was going to try.

"Very funny, Corbin," I warned and bared my teeth in annoyance, and his grin grew wider and cheekier than before. "Now, can we just go to the restroom and then get food, please? We have to get out quickly before shit hits the fan."

"Then the king will have something to say if that happens," he said softly while he nudged my shoulder and gave me a pointed look. "You are protected, Kel."

I didn't say a word and set my jaw while I folded my arms across my chest, narrowing my eyes a little.

"Come on, and let's go to the bathroom," Corbin said, changing the subject. "I'll stay at the door to make sure that you are safe and no one comes in after you." He winked and nudged my shoulder teasingly, and I scowled and narrowed my eyes further.

"Very funny," I grumbled, and his grin grew wider. "Don't you need to pee?" I raised an eyebrow and looked at him from the corner of my eye.

Corbin shrugged and looked at me nonchalant. "I'll pee in a bush if I need to go when we get to an area that isn't claimed by a pack," he said, and I wrinkled my nose and pursed my lips in disgust.

"Corbin," I said, and he snickered. "Disgusting."

"I know," he said and nodded. "But, I know that you want to leave the pack as soon as possible, so ya. I'll pee out in the woods and will be safe so you don't have to worry about me."

I rolled my eyes and scowled but stayed silent because I had no idea if that would be true or not.

This was going to be a trying time as it is...

Corbin glanced at me from the corner of his eyes and set his jaw. Pain flashed through his eyes, and he cleared his throat while he looked forward again. "It won't be the worst thing that I have done," he said softly. "I mean, I've done it before."

"I don't care," I said and shook my head. "Now, come on, the sooner we get done, the sooner we can get back to the cabin and I can get some sleep."

Corbin laughed and nodded before he started to walk to the bathroom, and I followed him. "Oh, if I do want to pee here, then I will knock on the bathroom door and let you know that way. Ok?" He looked at me from the corner of his eye and raised an eyebrow in question.

I hesitated before I nodded. "Ok," I said, starting to feel very nervous again. I wanted to stuff my hands into my pockets, but I knew that it would make the others nervous and start to accuse me of wanting to harm them.