surprising me

Kate's POV

I slip out the tower doors scanning the area for Emmelyn. She's the one who's taking me on this date after all.

After a short stint alone in the cold night, someone on a motorcycle pulls up to meet me. After standing in awkward silence for a moment the mystery person finally seems to read my confused face.

She pulls off her helmet, "Ms. Bishop are you ready to go?"

"Since when have you had a motorcycle?"

"Don't worry I'm an experienced rider, you're safe with me."

I have to admit her voice had a calming tone to it. A sort of smoothness that makes you want to listen just a little closer.

"I mean- I don't have a helmet or any experience." I protest.

"Oh I picked up something I thought you might like." From the other side of the bike she reveals a helmet with beautiful purple accents. She hands it to me and waits expectantly.

Slowly I put the helmet on unsure of how to even fasten it to my head. "I'm really not sure. I've never even been near one of these things."

"Are you scared Bishop?" She asks jokingly, when I return no response her face changes slightly. "Hey I've rode bikes for years and I also got this for you."

She proceedes to pull out a leather jackets that also has purple accents to it. I'm not sure I've ever told her it was my favorite color but somehow she knew. She watched intently as I put it on.

"Does it fit? I had to take a guess on your size."

"It's perfect thank you." I smile at her under my helmet.

"You look good, hop on." Emmelyn says with a smile.

I oblige and take the seat behind her on the bike. "You still haven't told me where we're going. Starting to think you might be a serial killer."

"Mmm, that's just a risk you're gonna have to take." She remarks, putting her helmet back on.

Her helmet was mostly black and gray but when you looked closely there were deep red accents. It reminded me of her suit Tony made.

I slipped my hands around her stomach and held tight. A small laugh escaped her lips when I held so tight, I promptly gave her a smack on the back of her head and she stopped. Of course I went straight back to holding on for dear life.

The throttle twisted and we began to move. She started slow but was quickly gaining speed. I held on impossibly tighter and she could tell. When we were stopped at a light she turned back to me.

"You know I was only going 25 right?"

"No you must be lying, that felt fast. Too fast. Reckless even."

"Alright Kate, I'll keep my speed down." I could hear the smile through her voice.

We kept driving for what felt like forever. Although it may have been my fear of dying on the death trap called a motorcycle. I will admit some of the time I wasn't all that scared, I just wanted to hold on to her a little tighter. The heat of her body was soothing against mine in the bitter windy night.

Eventually we pull into a McDonald's drive through. The scenery around us had changed a fair bit. Skyscrapers have been replaced by suburbs and there's far more greenery.

"Don't tell me this is your idea of fine dining." I ask somewhat seriously.

"Don't worry princess we're only making a quick stop." she says jokingly.