CH 7

Xavier

I knew the area around my cabin backwards and forwards. Even in the dark, I knew exactly where I was going. Charlie was the only visitor I had gotten. Henry and I had been out here for months and never even had a bear stumble upon the cabin.

My cabin was truly in no mans land. That was on purpose. So the fact that someone was here meant that they found her. That didn't matter though. I wasn't going to let anyone hurt her.

I found tracks that someone was trying to cover. Whoever was there, didn't plan to strike tonight. That meant, it was a recon mission. Whoever it was didn't expect me to know they were there.

Whatever the case, it was time to leave. I loved the bubble we were in but it was time to get back to reality. She needed to know who I was. She needed to know I already knew who she was and who was after her.

It was time to finish what she had already started a year ago. I was ready to get out and I knew she was too. I just hope she wanted to do it with me.

"Hi," I locked my cabin door before looking at her.

Henry had jumped on the bed immediately after I entered the cabin. I guess he knew the threat was gone.

"Did you find anything?" She asked.

"Yes, so we're leaving in ten minutes."

"To go where?"

"Back to Denver." I walked to the bed. "I like being here with just us but now that someone else knows that we're here, it's not safe."

"I know."

I cupped her face, kissing her. "I have a place. You can stay with me, okay?"

"Yeah, I'd like that." She moved towards me and I hugged her.

It was weird how she wasn't worried about seeing her friends or family. She acted like she didn't have anything outside of my cabin.

"I'm sure your friends and family are worried about you." I pulled away saying.

She smiled gently, "Yeah...I don't.." she shook her head, "Nothing. Are you sure it's okay if I stay with you? I don't want to be a burden or anything."

"You aren't." I reassured her. Would she freak out if she knew what I really wanted from her? "I want you with me, okay?"

"Yeah, okay." Her eyes relaxed.

"I won't be long. Just wait here."

"Okay."

I got up. My cabin was setup so I could leave on a moments notice. Now I was glad I had done that. It was no telling when whoever it was, was going to try to come back.

********

Charlie

I fell asleep in his truck. He said it'd take at least ten hours to get back to Denver. I hadn't realized how far away I had been. So much time had passed. It was surreal to be going back.

I had started on a mission that had gone terribly wrong. I almost died but thanks to Xavier I hadn't. He took me in and cared for me, no questions asked. It always bugged me why he was okay with me hiding things from him.

I knew he was hiding things from me too, but he still didn't feel like a bad guy. I felt like I could trust him.

"We're here." He pulled up to luxurious looking condos.

"You live here? " It was almost two in the afternoon by the time we arrived back.

We had to stop for gas, food and to let Henry out. "Yeah, I bought it a few years ago." He pulled into the garage.