CH 19

Xavier

I wasn't trying to make her cry. I just wanted her to know I was here. I didn't want her holding things in or not being concerned about her safety.

"It's okay. I'm here." I held her and she wept in my neck.

I let her. Maybe she needed this. She bottled things up and that wasn't healthy. "Do you feel better?" I asked, gently.

"Yeah, a bit." She pulled away, looking at me.

"I wasn't trying to upset you." I wiped her face before kissing her.

"I'm just...touched. You care...a lot."

"I love you. I think that's kinda normal." I said, smiling at her.

She nodded, "Can we..." She sniffled, wiping her face. "Nothing. I'll teach you ASL."

"Okay."

We both were quiet for a bit. Charlie laid back against me and I just held her. Maybe I did need her to need me a bit more than what she wanted. I tightened my arms around her.

I just wanted to protect her. I wanted to take care of her and shield her from messed up crap. She was my girl. Wasn't this normal how I was feeling? This protectiveness.

"We should probably get back." She pulled away, wiping her eyes. "I'm going to run to the bathroom. I don't want Bailey knowing I was crying. It'll just upset her."

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Yeah...I'm fine." She gave me a soft smile saying.

"How are you're feet feeling?"

"They feel fine. I'm okay, Xavier. Thanks for being concerned."

"You don't need to thank me." I cupped her face before saying, "We have a saying in Mandarin, it's 是因该的(shi yinggai de). It means, I should do this or it should be done. That's how I feel about taking care of you. It's just what should be done, baby, because I love you. You don't need to thank me for loving you. I'm just glad you let me in so I can."

Her eyes got really soft, "Xavier, that's really beautiful." She kissed me before pulling away, "I seriously want you to teach me your language."

"In exchange for ASL lessons." I teased.

"Yes, definitely."

"All right, good." I kissed her forehead before standing up. I helped her up too. "I can wait for you. I don't mind,"

She smiled, nodding before I followed her to the bathroom.

I leaned with my back against my bathroom counter while she washed her face. She was so beautiful and strong. Everything about her. She didn't complain about things. She'd just handle them.

"What?" She was patting her face dry with a towel.

I moved closer, pushing her hair off her neck before leaning down to kiss her there.  "You're so strong. It's one of the many things I love about you." I said softly in her ear before nuzzling the side of her face.

"Xavier," she turned and I picked her up before getting between her legs.

I pulled her close. "I admire you, Charlie."

"You're amazing too." She cupped my face before leaning into me. She pressed her mouth against mine and I held her tightly while I deepen the kiss.

I felt so much, so many things just being with her. I couldn't explain it. I just knew whatever happened, Charlie was in my life to stay.

*****

Two weeks later, Charlie wanted to go back to work. I wasn't exactly discouraging her from going back but I wasn't encouraging it either.