Decorating the Christmas Tree

Once they returned to the house, Ben had to take a picture of both Kimmy's arm and her cheek to document the incident, for Leonard. That meant having to pull off the bandages.

Kimmy was hesitant to rip the bandage from her skin.

When Kimmy tensed up having a corner of the bandage peeled off, Kayla dampened a washcloth and pressed it over the bandage long enough to soften the adhesive.

While she was gone, Ben asked if she had a good visit otherwise.

Kimmy shrugged. She was still trying to shake the event from her mind.

Once the bandage was off, Ben lined the phone over Kimmy's arm. "Hold still for me, kiddo." He snagged a picture of the scratches, then had Kimmy turn so he could take a picture of her cheek.

Ben explained that any minor or major incident had to be documented; to protect every party involved on a kid's team. Something as minor as a kid scraping their knee during play could be taken out of context and used against someone, especially the foster parent.

Ben also quickly noted the scratches and Zach's meltdown in his phone to add to his daily report later. "Did this happen regularly at home?" he asked, wanting to hear from Kimmy herself.

Kimmy looked away at the floor. Even though Kayla knew from Zach's foster dad, she didn't want to confirm anything else.

"No one's in trouble, kiddo," he reassured. "I just need to know these things for Leonard."

She grabbed the bottom of her T-shirt, fidgeting with the helm.

Ben moved on, seeing Kimmy was having a hard time with it. "We'll keep an eye on those scratches for now. If they bother you and aren't healing, let us know and I can make a doctor's appointment to get them checked out. Okay?"

Kimmy looked down at the ones on her arm while Kayla pointed out they should be fine.

"A bite is usually what needs medical attention."

"Yeah, well, call me overly safe," Ben said as if to mock himself, pushing himself up from his knees. He scooted the kitchen chair in. "Dinner is almost ready. Why don't you go wash your hands?"

Kimmy slowly turned and left the kitchen. She used the downstairs bathroom before dropping on the bottom stairs. Samson came over. While petting him, Kimmy overheard Ben and Kayla talking about what happened, including the part where she talked.

She figured they would be expecting her to talk, now that Kayla had heard her.

That frog Kimmy had won from the fair appeared on her shoulder after thumping down the stairs.

"Hi, Kimmy. 'Member me?" Miguel said in a high, squeaky voice and giggled as he moved around her down the rest of the stairs. Miguel sat on the last one. He had the frog dance in the air, not at all fazed by what happened that afternoon.

Kayla came around the corner to let them know dinner was ready on her way upstairs.

Miguel was in the kitchen before Kimmy was on her feet.

Ben served, asking how much chicken Alfredo and salad Kimmy wanted, and let her pour her own salad dressing.

Glad to have her old spot back, Kimmy climbed onto the stool at the counter.

Kayla returned shortly and took drink requests.

The girls came downstairs not long after Kayla, grabbing their plates as Ben served them. While taking turns sharing what they were thankful for, Miguel shared how he told their family about the dinner tradition and made the suggestion to do it with them, as well.