Chapter Fourteen: What is bound to happen; will happen.

c h a p t e r f o u r t e e n 

w h a t i s b o u n d t o h a p p e n w i l l h a p p e n 

***

After a very long day at work, I finally decided to retire to bed early that night. I usually am awake till one or two in the morning but all the Ivory tension had been taking a toll on me. As far as I remembered Ivory had always been a dunderhead in accounts and economics. She was more interested in being a professional dancer or something. I couldn't care less about what she wanted to do or not but if it meant spoiling the Parker's name, I had to butt in; I had two reasons to do so. Firstly, I was getting paid to do so and secondly, I didn't want that stupid Sebastian's name getting tarnished, no matter how much I hated it.

-

The next morning, the whole office (and all the others in the corporate world) had seen the video of Ivory's stupid answers at the press conference. Elliot was obviously pissed off about it and hadn't come to office today as he had to handle another conference with Eric Parker. All the Parker men knew only to create problems for everyone. Sebastian...Eric...Kenneth...all of them!

I started writing the most important matters that had to be handled immediately. I took out my little work diary and wrote 'IVORY' in big bold letters. Next, I wrote ERIC and went on writing until the page was half done.

Beth and Ivory, both, had decided to take an off today as Lily had informed me. Lily came barging in the next second and almost shouted, 'Leah! You need to go and handle the PR department, they're a complete chaos.'

I nodded and ran to the elevator immediately. As soon as I got down to the mentioned department, I was baffled by the amount of noise the whole floor was making. I spotted Robert Morris, head of department, and Linda scurrying between two desks looking through four files at one time. Linda looked like she was about to faint, her hair were sticking to her neck and forehead because of the amount of sweating she was going through. I could see the sweat beads glisten under the light. I went over to them and I passed my kerchief to Linda, who took it apologetically. I winked at her before turning back to Robert.

'The internet and media is bursting with news, Leah. Someone has leaked the information that Ivory doesn't have a valid degree in business and her poor speaking skills in that press conference is clearly not helping the rumors...which by the way I think are true. Sebastian Parker is in his cabin since morning and is refusing to let anyone in, apparently he has some other matters to take care of. I rolled my eyes.

'What are your plans ahead? How do you plan on handling the media?'

'I don't know, Leah. We cannot justify Ivory's stupidity. We are still trying our best.' Robert said rubbing his temples.

'Why can't we just hire another publicist?' Linda chimes in and I shake my head.

'We would have but Ivory is here on Sebastian's recommendation and we are going to have to talk it out with him first before firing her. And secondly, the media is not going to let the press conference incident drop so easily. They will ask questions about Ivory's competence for the post. So I believe that after we handle the media, we hire another publicist after some days.'

'Okay, Mr. Morris. Release a statement immediately that Sebastian Parker didn't assign Ivory her post.' I said.

'Cannot do that because the media will ask the name of who hired her and our department is not ready to take the blame.' Robert said in a curt tone.

I took a deep sigh before answering. 'You don't have to take the blame. Tell the media that I hired her. I will handle the rest.'

I ignored Robert and Linda's gasps. I told them to follow my orders, as kindly as I could. I had a bossy personality but I tried to control it.

I left the floor. Instead of going to my floor, I hit the ground floor button. I exited the office building and went to the nearby Starbucks. In less than an hour, I expected the media to blast off with the new statement and blame me for everything.

And the sad thing was that I didn't even know why I took the blame for Sebastian. I could have just handled the matter somehow...but this felt like the only way. I switched off my phone.

-

Once I had ordered my drink at Starbucks, I sat at the farthest end. A moment later, I felt the chair beside me getting pushed. I looked to my right to find Aaron smiling at me.

'So you have started eating again?'

'Yeah, couldn't resist your lasagne for a long time, could I?' I said chuckling. Aaron smirked proudly at me.

'I can make the lasagne again if you want.' Aaron said winking at me. I laughed again.

'Are you asking me out on a date, Mr. O'Connell?' I asked and a slight shade of pink touched his cheeks. Adorable.

'That is what my friends wanted in high school, at least! Remember the teasing?' Aaron said laughing. I snorted at that too.

'Yeah, I don't even remember why this teasing started. It was out of the blue and suddenly everyone started tagging me with you.'

'Blame Blake for that, the stupid dork,' Aaron said and I laughed...it had been such a long time since I laughed. I shook my head at the memory.

'It is so weird meeting you after so many years.' I said suddenly as he sipped on his cappuccino. He looked at me but didn't answer anything. He just stared at me with his mesmerizing blue eyes.

After a long time, he answered slowly. 'Maybe because we were bound to meet; I mean sure it is weird, bumping into a person you already know and you don't know what to say because you guys aren't on the same page anymore. But it is what it is. I mean did you even imagine in high school that you would be eating my cooked lasagna years down the line? No. But it did happen.'

I didn't answer so he said in an apologetic tone, 'Sorry, I didn't mean to creep you out.'

I laughed. 'No, I was just thinking about what you said. I am not a great believer of fate and destiny but what you said had me thinking.'

Aaron smiled. 'It is all written in the destiny, Leah. What is bound to happen; will happen.'

'What if all of it is a big coincidence?'

'I do not believe in coincidences. Coincidence is a name given by people who don't want to believe in the present. Nothing is ever a coincidence in this world, everything happens for a reason.' Aaron smiled and said, 'This is my cue, Leah. I will see you soon, eh?'

'Yeah, I will see you.' I said, 'Your words had me thinking.'

'I am glad. What are you doing this Saturday though?'

I frowned. 'Nothing worth mentioning.'

'Be ready at seven in the evening.' Aaron said before leaving.

-

It had been an hour and a half since I left the office building. Everyone turned around and looked at me as I walked. I knew at once that the statement had been released and I was the target for all the blame now.

Lily didn't look at me as I passed through her desk as she was busy answering a text.

I switched on my phone again and my phone started buzzing with numerous notifications. As I clicked on the recent news, I pushed open my cabin door.

Leah Hastings hires her own blood for money

I winced at the title and tried pushing the cabin door again. Why wasn't it opening?

Only this didn't feel like the cold metal handle of the door...it felt like a textured material. What?

I looked up to find Sebastian looking down at me, his stormy grey eyes darkened with anger.

***

Please vote, share and comment. Thanks.