Chapter 18

All eyes were on me as we walked into their small village, hidden through tall pine trees. A few of those eyes widen as I walk closer, their minds screaming HANIYA, they're human so it took a moment for them to realize I wasn't my mother. I could feel the disappointment make it's way around the camp.

  "Haniya?" A low voice asked pushing a long branch out of the way. His tall russet built body making it's way to us, stopping a little more than a foot in front of me. He takes a moment to really look at me, his eyes beginning to water while his mind swims in memories.

  "I told her to get rid of you. I'm glad she didn't, one less regret I have in this life of mine. My greatest one, is the last conversation I had with my little sister. I wish I would've known, I would've begged her to stay and we could've raised you, and taught you all about your people. I could've given you the love I should've given her." His voice so sincere as he moves a piece of my long golden brown hair from my face.

  "I'm so sorry Haniya," His eyes no longer trying to hold back tears as he wraps his heavy arms around me. "I'm so sorry." He says again. Enapay walks up and places his head gently behind mine. His soft fur reminding me so much of my mom's. I can hear their regretful thoughts and feel the pain that comes along with them.

  My head rested just underneath his shoulder, I can't fight back the tears anymore and I just cry as the rest of my family gathers around us. Happy memories so many of the tribe had with my mother start to pour into me. They loved her just as much as they did then, the women looked up to her growing up, the men respected her as a warrior.

  I looked around and saw the family my mother came from. Strong and proud people that would do anything to protect one another. Wealth nor color meant nothing to them. It doesn't matter where you come from, or how long you've been apart of the tribe. Once you were there that's it, you are and will forever be, family.

  We sat around a fire and one by one, they told me the history of our people. My ancestors were brave, smart and caring. They respected our mother earth and the creatures she provided. We understood that they weren't here to live and die for us, we hunted to survive, not for the glory of taking a life. "These creatures must be protected" one wise woman told me.

  I learned that every brilliant color they wore, meant something. Whether it be on their face as war paint, or clothes. Each color meant something and should be just as respected as the person wearing them.

  Black meaning victory or power, aggression or strength. Red meaning happiness, beauty and faith or blood, violence and energy. White meaning sharing, light and purity or in some cases, mourning.

  Yellow/orange meaning intellect and determination;willing to fight to the death. Green meaning nature, harmony and healing. Blue meaning intuition and wisdom as well as confidence. Purple is a sacred color, it symbolizes magic, power and mystery.

  With each passing day, I obtained so much and grew closer to all of them. I learned how to make pelts after a few days. After a few weeks I was hunting and gathering, everything came so naturally. Some of the things I had learned from my mother, yet another reason to appreciate the time I had with her. A month went by so quickly, I wasn't ready to go.

  "You don't have to you know, you can always stay with us." Enapay said replying to my thoughts.

  "I know, but I promised them. I owe it to them-" I'm cut off before I can finish.

  "You don't owe them a thing. They aren't your family, we are." Helushka says as he sits on the cool green grass with us.

  "You're wrong, they're as much of my family as you all are. They took care of me and protected me when I lost everything. They pulled me out of the darkest places of my mind, when for a while that's all I could see. I owe them everything." I smile just thinking about them.